What To Do When Your Best Friend Betrays You

May 4, 2011 · 110 comments

what do when your best friend betrays you
  • Sharebar

How many best friends do you have?

When I say friends, I don’t mean FB buddies or Twitter followers, but real friends. People you could a would call if you were down to your last dime and needed a pint of milk, or received some really bad news and needed a strong shoulder to cry on ?

[EDIT] a very personal account of my own personal experience follows. Keep reading to discover how I manage to over this situation and come out the winner.

Personally, I have a ton of acquaintances. My other half likes to say that we could rock up to Alaska and I would be sure to know at least three Eskimo’s. I seriously doubt it, but I get his point.

You see although I make connections easily and will talk to anyone, I’m very selective about who I bring into my inner circle.

That’s why when my best friend and I dissolved our relationship after over 16 years in each other’s lives. I was totally devastated.
So what happened
Expectation happened.

I entrusted my best friend with my one prized possession – my home, whilst I went to fulfil my dream of travelling for a year. Never for a second did I think a thing would go wrong with my right-hand girl in charge. But go wrong, it did.

So wrong in fact, that within 78 hours of the problem arising I was on a plane back to England from Indonesia, Medan, to be exact, to fight for it.

I won’t go into the details as they would only bore you, but needless to say, whilst several thousand pounds down (there goes my flashpacking), I was back on a beach in Bali, next to my partner (who I’d left out there) within 12 days. This was my dream, and I wasn’t about to let it die quite so easily.

Still sun kissed and several pounds lighter from the stress, I was also heart broken.

That’s how you feel when your best friend betrays you

When I’d challenged my best friend of 16 years and the mother of my beautiful God children, on her failure to handle my business and hers as we’d agreed. She told me “she didn’t want to be held responsible, and as far she could see we had nothing else to say to one another”.

Well she only had to tell me once.

That day I made the painful decision that regardless of any rethinks or comebacks, our friendship was definitely over.

So to wrap this sob story up, in the space of two weeks, I’d lost my best friend my god children, very nearly lost my home and had depleted a large chunk of my travel savings. As I said, I was ….

Heart Broken

I searched for reasons to make her right and me wrong (which is unlike me), and came up blank. It finally dawned on me that I was best friendless. So I drowned my sorrows in expensive Indonesian beer, transient acquaintances, sunshine, and kept my English stiff upper lip in the knowledge that this was her shit, and not mine.

To find out exactly how I did that, and how you can do it too, go here.

Gilli Trawangan, where I was meant to be. Please excuse the face, it was the expensive Indo beer

So how do you recover when my best friend betrays you?

Well it was hard.

Despite the urge to lambast her to anyone who would listen. I refrained, internalised the process and decided to alchemise the experience into a lesson in loss, and boy oh boy did I feel lost.

Best friends anchor us, they cheers us on from the side lines and call us on our ‘stuff’. They listen to our problems without judgement, they know the ugly things about our personalities that Twitter followers and ‘randoms’ will never know. The reality is, the older we get, the less opportunities we have to build these kind of (your family) friendships. It’s your history together that makes the whole thing, so damn special.

So although this happened in June last year, I can honestly say it’s only now, I’ve felt suitably recovered to discuss and reflect on it objectively. I also realised that I’m not the only person in the world who has had a friend betray them and shed some grown woman tears. So I decided to write about it.

What to do when your best friend, or any friend, betrays you:

1. Resist the urge to character assassinate. It feels good in the moment, but afterwards,you feel like you’re 16 years old
  2. Don’t get into email wars. Say what you have to say via email or preferably face to face, then shut up
  3. Allow yourself some time to mourn. When you lose a best friend, and in your heart you know it’s permanent, it’s like the death of a loved one. It’s okay to wear black for a few days
  4. Find someone who you trust and then talk about it. Not in a “he said, she said” kind of way, but talk through the situation and your feelings
What not to do when your best-friend betrays you:
  1. Pretend like it didn’t happen and drown yourself in cheap Indonesian beer, or your medication of choice
  2. Keep going back over old ground. If you’ve  made the decision that the friendship really is over, then have the courage of your convictions
  3. Discuss the situation ad nauseum with mutual friends. You will only become childish and resentful, and your slagging-0ff session will reach their ears sooner or later. Not that you much care, but why not be the bigger person?

There are a few other key things that I did to help me get over the betrayal of my best-friend. Find out everything I did, and see if it will work for you, here.

My best friend as I will never talk again. The reality of this is now my decision, as I’m pretty sure she would try again given half a chance, but I’m officially done. It saddens me that I won’t be at her kids school plays, will no longer receive their phone calls just to tell me they love me. Seriously it does, but I’m over it. Her. Not them.

Like I said, they may have been your best friend, but hopefully not your only friend, so move on.

So if you’ve ever wondered what to do when your best friend betrays you, this is what worked for me.

• Have you ever lost a best-friend, and if so, how did you recover
  • How many chances do you give friends, before you say enough is enough
  • Do you think it’s possible to find a new best friend, when you’re nicely into your thirties? Do we even need best friends at that age?

Check out my ultimate manual on what to do when your best-friend betrays you, and discover exactly what you need to do to get over that situation as quickly as possible.

If you’ve suffered a betrayal at the hands of your best-friend, come and share your thoughts and experiences with me (100′s all ready have, you’re not alone) Let’s heal a little bit more, together. If you liked this post or think it may help others, then I’d love if you’d share it.

Grab instant access to a chapter from the manual “what to do when your best friend betrays you” right here, and download the rest if you think it will help you. It’s 100% FREE

Previous post:

Next post:

{ 107 comments… read them below or add one }

Benny
Twitter: benny_hsu
May 4, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Wow she must have done something serious for you to leave Indonesia to take care of the problem! At least you went back to Bali. I was just there in March for the first time. Went to Ubud. Loved it!

I think it’s possible to have best friends in your 30′s. Does meeting my fiance 2.5 years ago when I was 31 count? Before that I had a best friend when i was growing up but not one I would say until I met her. Now she’s my ultimate best friend and I feel so lucky.

But enough about me…

How many chances would I give a friend? Depends on what they did. If it’s serious enough, there wouldn’t be another chance. Just depends on the scenario.
Benny recently posted..Interview with Adrienne Smith Talks Life Changes Building Community and Being Productive

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 6:51 am

Benny, I left a piece of my heart in Ubud, I can say its one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to in my life. I’m so glad your partner is your best-friend, that’s a beautiful thing.
Our friendship “deal breakers” all different. My tolerance level is pretty high, it needs to be, as I too can be a right pain in the ass,get things wrong, and need my friends to be able to see past that and just love me.

But there are some scenarios where you know, “even if I pretend everything is ok, things will never be the same”. When you feel like that, it’s definitely time to move on. Feel free to share your experiences and much as you like here, I love it when people speak from the heart : )

Dino Dogan May 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Hooofa…what a story.

Did you know that -statistically speaking- you are more likely to commit suicide than make a friend , after turning 30?
Dino Dogan recently posted..3 Ways in Which Meditative Practices Can Help You Grow Your Business

Jack@TheJackB
Twitter: thejackb
May 5, 2011 at 3:24 am

Well that is cheerful news. ;)
Jack@TheJackB recently posted..Stupid Blog Tricks- The Difference Between The Best &amp Most Popular

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 6:24 am

Hi Jack, I know this isn’t a cheerful story, but it’s a real story. Sometimes sad things happen in life. Good to see you again : )

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 6:56 am

Ahh….I get it, you mean Dino’s suicide theory. I’m a duffus sometimes : )

Jack@TheJackB
Twitter: thejackb
May 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Yes, I wouldn’t make fun of your situation. :)
Jack@TheJackB recently posted..The Best Video Game Ever

Bill Dorman May 5, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I think Jack was refering to Dino’s comment…………….
Bill Dorman recently posted..Well- that was awkward…

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 6:40 am

Thanks Dino, luckily for me Tower Bridge is only a short walk away, lol

So tell me then big guy, how many BF’s do you have ? Do men even own up to having bf and feeling gutted when it all goes wrong, or are they too cool for all that : )

Dino Dogan May 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Who? Me? all right, all right…

I think only two…and one of them lives in Sweden so Im not sure if that counts. I have many good friends…the kind that will help you move. But only two that would help me move a body, as the old joke goes.

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Of course the buddy in Sweden counts. It’s not the proximity that makes you bf, it’s the intimacy you share.

I have a few other wonderful people in my life who have filled the gap and helped me move on. Despite the drama, I still feel blessed :)

Bill Dorman May 5, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Classic……………
Bill Dorman recently posted..Well- that was awkward…

Brad May 5, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Christ Dino, way to lighten the convo up. Plus, why do you know that stat? Your twisted mind is one of kind. The kind that kicks ass.

Sorry for the hardship Stacey. Way to keep on going strong. I’m on a huge Hunter S. kick, so here is a quote.

“We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and — in spite of True Romance magazines — we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely — at least, not all the time — but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don’t see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”
— Hunter S. Thompson

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Hey Brad, you can always’s rely on Dino to not let you strum your violin for too long. I’d be interested to know where he got that

stat to, lol

This was a beautiful exert that you quoted there, very apt and also a little sad. I have never read any Hunter S Thompson. It was a hardship for a while, but I guess we have to make a choice to bounce back when were totally derailed.

Being able to verbalise it and share that pain (which I know is universal), with others was just another way of really letting go.

The pen is mightier than the sword, or so they say.

Thanks for sharing Brad

Brad May 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Yeah, the quote is a bit sad if you look at like, “shit, I’m alone-alone”. I just tried to point out that the pain of loss is universal, but screw it, move on because no one gets out of here alive… Shit, that might even be worse. Jesus, I better stop.

How about this. Smile, kick ass, drink piña coladas, and enjoy a nice sunset. Plus time heals all wounds and [Insert other bullshit cliches to make you feel better ]
Brad recently posted..I want you to push me off a cliff

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Brad you are officially awesome, my kinda guy, lol. I’m with you. Smile, kick ass, pina colada and sunset ( gotta add a dip in the ocean) works just fine for me.

“I want you to push me off a cliff”, sounds like it may be a little on the sad side too, going to check it out now, lol

Lori Gosselin May 5, 2011 at 12:59 pm

No! Dino! That can’t be so! I’m past 30 (never mind how much) and I recently met Stacey!
Lori
Lori Gosselin recently posted..Are You a Hugger

Dino Dogan May 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm

You might have something there Lori. If my memory serves me correctly, this stat is from the 80s. In other words, pre Social Media.

Which brings up a question. Do online friends count for as much? My instinct tells me no, but could I be wrong? Is there a post here? Will Stacey write it? Can I add another question mark to this comment?

Apparently I can :-)

Lori Gosselin May 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm

And you did. Hmmm.. friends online measuring up to the face-to-face kind? I don’t want to be cheesy, but I believe they can in time. Just like offline. I mean I’m getting to know some people over at my place, LFI and it’s always fun to run into them at other places. I think we are social beings who just gravitate towards the familiar. So YES, I’ve never “met” Stacey, yet I have a clear sense of her, not only from her writing, but just from the energy I get when I am “around” her.
And I’m NEVER wrong LOL
Lori
Lori Gosselin recently posted..Are You a Hugger

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 7:50 pm

what, never, are you telling me there was a life before social media.. The 80′s, what is that exactly, do you have pictures? lol.

On-line friends definitely count, but unless you actually speak by phone, personally via email, and that kind of thing. I think there is always a slight level of distance that is impossible to bridge. Also they can’t laugh with you, cry with you and share in your triumphs and screw ups in quite the same way. So whilst they count, and make your life more diverse, it will never be quite the same. Like I said to you the other day, had we been in the same country, I would have been on the phone like ” Hey D, grab your lady, let’s go hang in the park, drink cold beer, eat bad food, and goof around”. The distance stops you taking your appreciation of one another to the next level

Bill Dorman May 5, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I don’t know, if Dino says it, it must be so……….
Bill Dorman recently posted..Well- that was awkward…

Bill Dorman May 5, 2011 at 9:01 pm

That’s my Dino; a wealth of ‘say what’ facts……..
Bill Dorman recently posted..Well- that was awkward…

Clint Barton May 5, 2011 at 12:54 am

A crushing story but my goodness you need an editor. Half of this is a grave challenge to even read. Time heals all wounds.

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 6:38 am

Clint, this may not be written to your standards and quite possibly my writing and editing sucks IYO, I’m willing to accept that. The interesting thing is you read to the end and decided to leave a comment, albeit a not particularly nice one. Like you said ” time heals all wounds”, even the little one I felt this morning when I read your comment. I’ll make you a deal; I’ll manage my ego, if you manage yours. No one get’s it right every time Clint, all we can do it try, with our writing and in life. Take care

Laur @ The Mad To Live May 5, 2011 at 1:12 am

Damn, I was not expecting that! When I opened the post I as expecting something a little less serious like the time one of my best friends stole my wallet. (She was broke as a joke and in major debt and I ultimately forgave her b/c I can’t stay mad at anyone). But THIS… shit.

This is my 1st time over to your blog and I’ve been browsing your blog and I have to say I admire your spirit and outlook! It sucks when bad things happen to good people, but as you’ve showsn yourself, it teaches us lessons. … sometimes I wish we didn’t have to learn them though!

Here’s to FRIENDSHIP… and being the best friend we can be to those in our lives,
Laur
Laur @ The Mad To Live recently posted..Sit Downs With Mad Ones- Lach Cotter of The Art of Audacity

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 6:46 am

Here’s to friendship indeed laura, I’m raising my glass right with you. Sometimes I wonder whether I go to far with the things I reveal, or go into here. I wonder if it makes people uncomfortable, then part of me thinks that a good thing, as truth/life is often uncomfortable and how deal it with, shapes who we are as people.
You know what, if there was anyway on Gods green earth I could have salvaged my friendship I would have done. I don’t hold a grudge or even any negativity, it was just time to move on.
Thanks for coming over, sharing and getting involved. I really appreciate it

ps. If my bf stole my wallet, I’d me mad as hell, it’s great you were able to get past it and forgive

Elyse Bruce
Twitter: mic_mac
May 5, 2011 at 1:16 am

I walked away from a long-timer friend a little over a year. A year later, she’s still spewing hateful and false comments about me to anyone who will listen. It only makes her look bad.

Some behaviours cannot be overlooked and that’s what happened in this case. All the vindictive things she has done since only compounds the problem and confirms that parting ways was the right decision.

As for whether you can find another best friend in your 30s, Dino, all I have to say is this: In this lifetime, you will only have one or two true friends you can count on. The hoards of others you know are, as you say, acquaintances and some of them will be fantastic acquaintances. If you’re meant to find another best friend, you will. Otherwise, enjoy your life and the people you have in it in the here and now. :-)
Elyse Bruce recently posted..Of Life And Living

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 6:31 am

Hey Elyse ( beautiful name by the way), I agree with your sentiment,” that if your meant to find another BF you will, otherwise enjoy your life and the people you have in it, in the here and now”. Walking away from a friendship is difficult at the best of times, but when they have been in your life for ever, it;’s even harder, don’t you find ?

Like Dino and yourself, I also believe that in our lifetime we only find a few friends we can truly count on. I’ve also come to realise that we have an even greater level of expectation in those friendships. I’ve found it interesting to difference in the way men and women conduct there friendships. With us girls things can get real nasty real quick if we don’t check ourselves. Well done for not rising to the bate : )

Whitney Punchak May 5, 2011 at 10:38 am

This is such a sad story. My BF and I didn’t have a falling out, we just drifted apart, literally. With university and living abroad, we’re lucky if we see each other once a year. It’s a real bummer to go from constant closeness to nothing, like a break-up. Only even with this break-up your BF’s not there to bring the ice cream.

But just like a break-up, someone else will come along. :)

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Hi Whitney,at the time it really was devastating, fortunately I had some amazing people in my life, who where able to bring the ice cream and lots of hugs and affirmation when I was right in the middle of it. When growing up, moving away or life, brings your friendship to a standstill, that can be just as hard to adjust to as when something catastrophic happens. I guess what I’m saying is it doesn’t really matter what happened perse, but rather how you feel as a result of not having that person in you life any more. Your right, it’s kind of like a break up, lol

Lori Gosselin May 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Hey Stacey,
I’m sorry for your painful experience! I know what it’s like to lose a good friend and to search for her in other relationships for a long time! I admire how you decided to “alchemise the experience into a lesson”. I never would have thought of that at the time. A poem, perhaps, LOL

I already argued with Dino about the idea that it’s hard to make good friends after the age of 30 (so you’ve got lots of time, right!) but I want to add something else I’ve learned since I lost that friendship.

I’ve noticed that I have many friends now, but none of them are that BFF that I lost. In a way, it’s healthier this way – a not-having-all-my-eggs-in-one-basket sort of thing, and not having all my expectations (as you said) resting on one person’s actions. My friends are all different, and I call them for different reasons – I have my shopping friend, my talking-about-life friend, my laughing friend, my healing friend.

I know it does take time to build a history that gives a friendship a good foundation, but consider that to a new friend all your stories are NEW! And go find one!
Start with me, if you like ;-)
Lori
Lori Gosselin recently posted..Are You a Hugger

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 7:43 pm

You have a good, kind, warm heart Lori, I bet you make friends in a beat. But your right, to start off with you can unconsciously find yourself comparing them with the bf you lost, and sometimes you don’t give people the chance they are deserved of.
When I was younger I always thought it meant I was disloyal if my best friend wasn’t my all any everything. But as I’ve grown up, I’ve come to realise that it’s really hard for one person to be all things to you, meet all your needs (what ever they may be) and never screw up. The level of expectation is just to high. This goes for romantic relationships as well as friendships.
I have a great group of girlfriends some I’ve known for years, and some I’ve only connected with recently and I can definitely have fun about town with them ( like tonight). But sometimes, though not as often now..something fun/sad/ridiculous happens, and my gut reactions is to call ?, because I know they would just get IT and me, immediately without any explanation, and I have to remember…oohhhh, it’s not like that any more. I love what you say that “to a new friend, all your stories are new”. I never thought of it like that. Thanks for Sharing Lori, and I look forward to becoming friends with you : )

Riley Harrison May 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Stacey,
Wow that’s painful stuff. Loss is painful and the loss of a really close relationship is devastating. What I try to do (and fail miserably) is not put all my emotional eggs into one basket. If diversification is a wise strategy for investors, I thought I might as well try it in my personal life. It sounds like to me you handled it pretty well.
Riley
Riley Harrison recently posted..JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Hey Riley
Lori said something really similar about not putting all your eggs in the same basket.
I never really thought about it that way before, but your right, if diversification minimises risk and increases opportunity in business, then why not give it a go in life…all expect your love life, lol
For me at least, that kind of diversification is not so fun
You make a great actionable point, thank you

Martin
Twitter: martinsaysjump
May 5, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Loosing a friend , especially a good friend is never a good thing. But, hey s*** happens. We just need to get up and move on like you did! The have been several times this have happened to me and what I do:
1.In anger do not act! You can still tell the person to go to hell the next day (which you woudlnt b/c youll no longer be angry)
2.Just remind myself that there are just good people who just do things badly.
And I think a friend is not something you find, it just happens. And I readily forgive my friends as often as required :)

Martinsays: Thanks
Martin recently posted..A mistake you are most probably making

Stacey May 5, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Hey Martin, what up. How’s life? Good to see you again.
I think I read a Paul Coelho quote that is similar to what you said ” you can always tell them to go to hell the next day”.
Friends do “just happen”, I have met a bunch of incredible women this year, strong, feisty, funny, smart women. Whilst we not besties, they make my life ultimately that much more fun.

Thanks for hanging out Martin

Derek Potocki
Twitter: Goalsblogger
May 5, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Hi Martin,
I like that: “there are good people, who just do things badly”. I’ve heard some time ago that people are not their behaviors. Easy to say…;)
Derek Potocki recently posted..The wall

Stacey May 6, 2011 at 10:21 am

Hey Derek

This can only be true. I would like to consider myself a good person, but there are more things than I care to mention which I do appallingly badly. Having patience, humility, forgiveness and understanding makes life a little bit easier, for all of us. How you doing? will be over at your place a little later. I love that hat in your pic by the way,

Bill Dorman May 5, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Let me ask you a tough question: did your friend really betray you or was she just grossly irresponsible to the point it cost you dearly? Regardless, you will never have what you had but I would urge forgiveness on some level.

I think you can make best friends at any age; but having been burned you are more apt to proceed with caution.

I like Dino’s analogy; I have plenty of friends who would help me move but only a couple who would help me move a body.

It’s a shame it happened and especially since you had grown close to the kids.

Can I also ask, is that your arrrgggghhhh face?
Bill Dorman recently posted..Well- that was awkward…

Stacey May 6, 2011 at 10:30 am

Trust Bill to not let me hide. I really had to think about this before I could give an honest answer. The situation wasn’t betrayal in a Othello/Desdemona kind of way. But I emerged from it, feeling incredibly betrayed, as yes, it was gross irresponsibility at it’s highest level. Causing someone to nearly be homeless, and not to mention the £,it took to make things right, is no small matter. Had their been some ownership or even an apology, their may have been some tiny room for reparation. I watched those children come into the earth, I will always love them and I’m many ways her.
I have already forgiven Bill, but I have not forgotten, and therein lies the difference. Forgiveness is rarely about the other person it is about you, so that a seed of bitterness does not take root in your heart. And yes that is my arrggghhhhh face, but this was a happy arrrgggggggghhh, lol

Jk Allen May 6, 2011 at 8:03 am

Stacey,

Without knowing you personally, and only knowing you online for a short time…I feel like I know your personally already. Your outgoing, an extrovert, fun and you keep it real. I love it. Even when I see your Gravatar it says to me – “I’m loving life” all over it.
Just had to mention that.

I’m selective about who I bring into my inner circle. For that very reason, I don’t have very many friends. I have too much that’s precious to me – my family – to allow just anyone in. So, I’m very calculated into getting to get know people WELL prior to letting them too close.

I do well at managing relationships without letting people get close – I guess it’s a quality that I’ve always had – growing up in the environment that I grew up in.

Despite your strength, I hope it crumbles and one day you and your best friend to speak again. Life is too short. I’ve been in one situation similar to yours (not as big) with my cousin, and in time, I just had to fold – I couldn’t hold up the front.
HOWEVER, if the relationship is truly “not happening” then I hope that things continue course and you find another best friend.

I’m 30 and never really think about best friends outside of my wife. I’m very blessed in that regard. And to top it off, with 3 kids – life keeps us busy and working towards the same goals.

But I do feel like friends can always be made…as long as you’re willing to let them in. I just mention that you not base your next friendship on the destructive relationship from your previous best friend. Sometimes, we just have to be vulnerable!

Congrats to you by the way on being a traveler. Much respect and admiration!
And consider me a friend Stacey – pplleeaassee!!
Wonderful conversation by the way going on here in the comments!

PEACE – it’s friday!

Stacey May 6, 2011 at 10:37 am

Thanks JK, you made me smile. When you put that silly red hat on, you can’t take life or yourself to seriously. I get the feeling we grew up in not to dissimilar neighbourhoods, where you have to be super careful who you let in the house. Things start going missing otherwise, lol. This alertness and examining nature of others, before you let them get to close to you or yours, stay with you for the rest of you life I think. But there is also something incredibly liberating about being open, inviting and embracing. That is until a person gives you cause to behave otherwise. Travelling opened my eyes in more ways than I’ll probably ever imagine. Stereotypes got torn right up, and the ability to discern who you want to spend time with goes on high alert because you have so many options. If there is one thing I would encourage all parents to instil in their babies, it’s to be fearless and go out there and see the world, it’s beautiful beyond our wildest imaginings. Thanks for making the conversation, just that little bit more awesome. I appreciate ya : )

Christian Hollingsworth
Twitter: smartboydesigns
May 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I think it’s always possible to find a new best friend. Although it can be difficult at times; there are always more people out there for us to learn from, enjoy and laugh with.

Friends have come and gone throughout my life, but I really have always been grateful for my family. They’re always there, always giving me love – and will forever be my rock and support. Independent of any friends.
Christian Hollingsworth recently posted..The Dragon Blogger- Interview with Justin Germino

Stacey May 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Hey Christian, nice to see you, your right, family is where it’s at, though they’re also human and will occasionally let us down too. I’m the oldest of 7 siblings and where all fairly close which I’m really grateful for. Your totally right, there are lots of people out there to laugh with, enjoy and learn from. Thanks for sharing your thoughts : )

Frank May 6, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Stacey,

Thank you so much for sharing your story and also so great tips on how to appropriately handle this situation when it happens in your life. I have had issues with this in the past and for a long time I have avoided allowing someone to get that close to me. I have acquaintances but only a few people I would call friends. Maybe I have some growing up to do but I prefer to keep a distance from people and that way no one has to get hurt. Over time I am learning to give of myself a little more but it is really difficult. This post has helped me understand how to cope when things go wrong in our relationships, not just our friendships. Thanks for sharing your talent.

Stacey May 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Hey Frank, I really feel what you said here “I have had issues with this in the past and for a long time I have avoided allowing someone to get that close to me.”

Even though our rational minds know everyone is not the same, we start to set up emotional gateways, where people can’t get to close, and we can’t get to hurt.

It’s not so much that you have some growing up to do, but some healing and maybe a little forgiving ?

Thanks for your honest, heart felt contribution Frank, I’ve really be enjoying getting the masculine perspective on this.

John Falchetto May 7, 2011 at 4:22 am

Hi Stacey,

I saw your post earlier this week but it brought up so many stories that I prefered to wait for a quiet (er) Saturday am to comment.

It’s true that we always get betrayed by the ones who are closest to us. After all we don’t trust the people who we don’t like and would never give them a chance to betray us.
This doesn’t mean we don’t feel like complete fools when it happens.

Over the years I have become more laid back about it. For one, I think people choose to act a certain way because they see us very differently then we see them.
We put our expectations so high and then we setup ourselves up to be deceived.

Since I have moved around so much in my life, I learned that yes we can make new best friends, in our twenties, or thirties. What matters is how we approach it, as a giving person who wants to help others and just manage our expectations.

Tough subject for this post Stacey, but great conversation. :)
John Falchetto recently posted..Why we hire the wrong person

Stacey May 7, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Hi John, it was interesting to see where everyone went with such a delicate subject. The male perspective has been especially insightful. Managing our expectations in relationships, is one of the most difficult, but most important things to do. In the past, I haven’t always been that great at it.

It’s interesting what you say “For one, I think people choose to act a certain way because they see us very differently then we see them”

I think we can take it for granted sometimes that people where close to, will do/say/behave in the way we would in any given situation, and when they don’t, were disappointed.
It’s good to know we can make new friends, whatever age, wherever in the world we are. Thanks for sharing John

Stan Faryna
Twitter: Faryna
May 10, 2011 at 3:50 am

Well said, John! Indeed, this is a great conversation.
Stan Faryna recently posted..Backyard Monsters Cheats- Shiny and Strategy

Stan Faryna
Twitter: Faryna
May 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I could say too much on the subject of friendship, betrayal, love, loss and disappointment. [grin]

And those around me could say much about how I effectively manage relationships with people that have demonstrated bad will, criminal intention and vicious cunning. Most of the time, I get what I want from those special relationships in exchange for things that I decide are fair and reasonable.

Let’s save that a rainy day.

Here’s my input:

1. Losing a close friend sucks. It can happen. That doesn’t make it easier. My heart goes out to you.

2. Age makes no difference. You can make friends until you are dead. Maybe, also, on the other side.

3. Certain expectations must be clearly defined and communicated to each other – one way or another.

4. There is a balance of give and take which must be accounted for in any relationship. Make the accounting often. A good friend repays debts with considerable interest as quickly as possible.

5. Disagreement, argument and conflict happen in real relationships. Otherwise, it’s a fantasy. Conflict resolution demonstrates commitment.

6. Sentence can suck- pray the situations does not arise. I have executed sentence such as firing the dearest of friends and putting them on unemployment. And I wept bitterly for days for doing so. Judgment cannot be avoided- even if it should be administered with compassion and mercy. And, yes, I have been tempted to execute more than one death sentence for crimes against humanity.

7. There are several kinds of friendship patterns according to Aristotle and C.S. Lewis. Only a friendship in goodness has the potential that is worthy of our jealousy, our loyalty, and sincere dedication.
Stan Faryna recently posted..Backyard Monsters Cheats- Shiny and Strategy

Stacey May 9, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Hi Stan
I find these two things you say of particular interest

This is something I have learnt from failing to do it in the past and expecting people to be mind readers

I’ve never seen friendship in that way. If asked what makes a good friend, this wouldn’t be something that would occur to me. What is your thinking behind this?

Stan Faryna
Twitter: Faryna
May 10, 2011 at 3:40 am

The Economy of Friendship… sounds like a best-selling book. And someone needs to write it. Yesterday! [grin]

On the other hand, it seems suspect to think there is an economy to friendship (or love for that matter), because talking about the economics seems to strip it (relationship, friendship, love) of its magic, mystery, wonder, joy and pricelessness. An economic analysis implies explicitly that… ugh… there’s no unicorns or tooth fairies. In fact, we have the same disdain for the economics of relationship as we do for the economics of the spirit (i.e., heaven and hell).

Justice, however, is the foundation for all human relationships – one to one, one to many, and many to many. Justice, according to Aristotle and Aquinas, is defined as giving what is due.

So if you don’t make the accounting, how can you be sure that you are giving what is due? The other side of the coin being this question, how can you evaluate a friendship if you don’t know the accounts?

Obviously, it goes way beyond counting money or hours. But, in fact, what makes a truly good friend is one who is constant and diligent in keeping the accounts in good standing.

In fact, if we blur and gloss over the economics, we do so not so much for the sake of more noble aspects of humanity and spiritual dimension, but, rather, for our selfish and self-absorbed instincts. And our relationships, more often than not, become unequal and/or co-dependent exchanges.

There’s a lot of hustling going on. One way or the other. And that’s a shame and a pity.

We would become better friends and more quickly in the Anubis tribe, for example, if we committed to a fair exchange of thoughtful, heart-spoken comments on each other’s blogs. Say, once per week. Yeah, that’s a time commitment when you consider 20 or more members. But the result would be amazing, magical, and wonderful. What do you think?
Stan Faryna recently posted..Backyard Monsters Cheats- Shiny and Strategy

Stacey May 10, 2011 at 6:12 am

Hey Stan
To answer your question about anubus tribe. I would second you. I think although it would be a massive time commitment,even if we could find 10 of members whose blogs we resonated we, and regularly showed up there. It would be amazing, magical and wonderful. You would need to get over to .org asap, Stan, otherwise you would leave you readers waiting at the door, without even so much as a cold drink. It’s like trying to get past a locked fortress in the comment section over at your place.

When you break if down like that, I have a clearer understanding of what you mean, and whilst the words “economics” may be misleading, ugly even, in that context. There is something to be said, for not letting the pendulum of goodness, ever swing too heavily in one direction during our relationships.
We may not be able to give what is perceived as equal measure from the other party, or even to the casual observer. However we should give what we have, with a clean heart and with humble intentions.
I don’t hustle in relationships, I give, but I’m also willing to take, and need to learn to both clarify and manage my expectations a bit better. Sometimes you have to let, life, experience and maturity have their way. Your a wise soul Stan

Susana
Twitter: Susana_Aires_
May 9, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Dear Stacey,

I am so sorry you had to go through that. We do expect a lot from the people we choose as best friends. I guess because we suppose we know them completely and assume they will react just as we would in any given situation. The truth is we never really know. I also had my share of disappointments and I understand you completely. I loved your advice and agree with all of it 100%.

We mourn. We move on. Meet other people. Choose new friends. That’s life!

Keep smiling,

Susana*

Stacey May 9, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Hi Susana, “we mourn, we move on, we met other people.” Solid words to live life by. I’m glad my advice resonated with you. Thanks for sharing

Stan Faryna
Twitter: Faryna
May 10, 2011 at 3:45 am

We mourn, we move on, we meet other people. Rinse and repeat? [warm smile] Or improve upon the results?
Stan Faryna recently posted..Backyard Monsters Cheats- Shiny and Strategy

Rob
Twitter: todayhaspower
May 25, 2011 at 1:33 am

Hey Stacey,
I have been let down by close friends, even two besties. I must say that I was expecting too much in two of these cases. Because a friend would, in Dino terms, bury a body with you, does not make that same friend a financial expert. If the friend is a financial expert, doesn’t mean they will bury a body (okay, I feel I’m incriminating myself, hope Stan isn’t reading still). I know this makes sense to you. For me years passed and I still have a friendship with one fellow. I realized there are certain things that I shouldn’t ask him to do…although he is good with a shovel:)
Rob recently posted..Does Natural Talent Matter

Amber-Lee Dibble
Twitter: girlygrizzly
July 2, 2011 at 4:00 am

Stacey,
I know (even though I am only reading this post now) exactly the raw open hole feeling that sits inside you. So, I’m really proud of you for sharing it. Big girl! (I hope you take that the right way!) I love the way your voice comes through the way you write.

It’s all about respect. Honesty. Integrity. and Love. Sometimes, you have to cut someone, even someone as special as a BF, completely off to save yourself. That’s survival. The deal breaker for me is honesty. (and I do mean deal breaker)

“Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.” (~no clue?) No.
You be happy and safe.
~Amber-Lee
Amber-Lee Dibble recently posted..Join Pioneer Outfitters in Alaska, Travel Plans (You Too, Dino Dogan)

Stacey July 2, 2011 at 6:29 am

Loosing your BF is heart breaking what ever age you are..but when it happens when your a fully fledged grown up, it can be especially sad as you know the likelihood of forming that sort of friendship again is unlikely as it takes so much time

Benjamin July 17, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Reading your posting helped me a little bit. My girlfriend of almost 1 year dumped me a month ago and the first person I talked to after was my best friend of four years Katie, and she listened which she was always good at, and she truly helped me get through the pain and shock of the situation. Well I’ve always had feelings for Katie and I took her out to dinner and a movie this past Friday, and we had an amazing time. I kept telling her how much of an idiot I felt for not getting the courage to ask her out on a date sooner, and she agreed. Well I called her yesterday and she couldn’t talk, telling me that she was busy, and that she would call me later that night. Well needless to say, there was no call, and I eventually texted her asking if something was wrong and if we were even friends anymore, (she had been forgetting to call me all week before our date) and she told me that she didn’t know.

It hurt so much to hear that from her, I mean, I have always been there for her through a lot of hard times that shes been through, and it utterly stinks to think that someone that you cared about so deeply could just end a friendship so quickly. I am obviously still reeling from the pain that comes from it all. I just don’t know what to do. I told her that I would rather have her as a friend than nothing at all, and she told me she didn’t know, saying that she was sorry for hurting me.

I feel completely lost, with one heartache stacking on the recent dumping by my ex-girlfriend.

Do you have any advice? I feel lost.

Stacey July 17, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Hi Benjamin, first off all let me say I feel your pain and sorry that your going through such heart ache at the moment..sometime life feels like is sucker punching us. My advice with your friend would be that maybe she is scared, nervous/uncomfortable with this new show of emotion from you..towards her?. You say that she has been your friend for 4 years..and you had been in a relationship for one of those. Now you are confessing to her that you always had feelings for her and wish you have found the courage to speak sooner..I can understand if this would make her feel funny, like maybe you are on the rebound? Possibly keeping her distance is her way or making sure she doesn’t get caught in the cross fire of all the conflicting emotions people have when they are going thorough a break up. Give her space, and give yourself space to heal your broken heart before you even think about addressing your feelings for another women..Katie..or anyone else. Be kind to yourself buddy

Tessa August 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm

THANK YOU!!!!
Just wanted to thank all of you for your posts/blogs!
So glad I stumbled in here somehow…
After reading everyone’s postings…all of which was from your hearts and your experiences.

Really great, as I had only 1 friend that stood by me after I suffered a traumatic injury…
I guess other friends, just didn’t understand what I was going through, so 1 by 1 they fell to the wayside.

This remaining friend of 14 and 1/2 years, I finally had to say goodbye to this past Friday.
I almost ended this only friendship a few years ago, due to her lies, deceipt and many personal betrayals.

But she was my only, I thought “True Friend”, and therefore I remained in the friendship.
I feel so used…
and the fact that she knew she was the only friend I had left, and felt pretty secure that she could do or say anything…and I’d be too afraid to lose my only friend.
Truth be told…she was really right for so long…and I was afraid to terminate my only friendship.

Even as I slowly recovered…and she was a super Christian person, she felt threatened by my physical beauty…so some of her betrayals, though hurtful…I understood why she had said or did what she had done.
My only friend, true…
my True friend…not so much, actually…
Turns out she very much wasn’t.
I finally did end the friendship this past friday…
and your postings have helped me to see it was right and very necessary to my own well-being, though at the same time very painful personally.

and may you be blesed in all ways possible…
and may the blessings be as beautiful as they are bountiful…

Thanks for letting me share…and…

Best of Luck to All of You!!!!!
Sincerely,
Tessa

AbsoluteChristine February 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I understand how you feel completely; it is a strange relief and also painful. It is better to happen now, than to wait longer and the pain become worse. Hugs to you!

Lorna Li September 17, 2011 at 3:47 pm

OMG, Stacey,

I am going through this RIGHT NOW! $20K worth of damages from my former house mate who I TRUSTED, who assured me I could trust him to take care of things while I was absent, who I had to fly back early from Spain to deal with. Totally ruined my vacation. Totally sapped my vital energy and time. And money. Trying to not sink in to a depression over it. And get back on track with my life. Thank you for your insightful post!
Lorna Li recently posted..Social Entrepreneurs Get Help from IDEO’s Human-Centered Design Toolkit

Freeandbetteroff January 23, 2012 at 11:59 pm

So many similar stories. I had a best friend for over 30 years. A few years ago, my son was killed in an accident. Money that she was entrusted with to honor my son…She spent it on her car. She made me promise not to tell my husband. After nearly having a nervous breakdown, I finally had to tell him about what she did…and more.
Now my former friend lost her daughter. I asked her to please stop telling me about how wonderful another friend of her was. Why? because the person did not come to help my friend. My husband I and were the ones who came, helped, took care of her, gave her food, our car, took considerable time off work. When we would talk, I finally was fed up with hearing about what a wonderful person her marvelous other friend was was when she couldn’t ever be there for our mutual friend when her child died. When I told my friend this, she cut off our friendship. I called, sent notes, emailed. Nothing until today when I received a note telling me how I had wronged her.
This is not a friend. This is a person who cannot understand the feelings of others. This is a person who prefers money over friendship (the marvelous person she speaks of is financially well off, did not help in any way). Until today, I felt her grief, her loss and tried to be helpful in her stage of grief. Now, I see nothing but a self absorbed selfish person who put my well being in jeapordy, using blood money to take care of her own needs, not caring a wit how I might feel.
I am so very happy today. I discovered myself again. She was a friend once. Now I am free. Her personal demands on my life, using me, my husband, money that was not hers, her lack of compassion…How do I feel? Free. Free…Free…of the burden of someone who changed from the fun person I used to know to a greedy, bitter person. I am so free…and so very thankful to be free.

AbsoluteChristine February 21, 2012 at 12:32 pm

This blog and other comments have been so helpful. I was recently married on January 14 after waiting a very long time to find Mr. Right. My best friend and Maid of Honor “dismissed me,” only two weeks after our wedding allegedly because of sideways gossip she claims came from me. She never confronted me or even told me why – she just sent me a text message saying she never wanted to talk to me again. Since I have no idea what happened, I do not know how to respond I am shocked and completely grieved. Because of this hateful, selfish and very hurtful behavior, I have now decided I do not want to take any steps to mend the friendship. Logically and intellectually, I can understand the process, but it still hurts pretty damn bad. Thanks again for this article and the other comments.

Jon February 27, 2012 at 12:17 am

I really like this and the comments. Sadly I am one who has betrayed their best friend. Not to go into details but it just became a he said she said kind of thing. But as this only happened yesterday it is as if I have murdered the one I love dearly for no other reason than selfishness. Alas I am glad to see that hearts do mend on both sides.

boatman March 19, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Me and my best friend have known each other since 3rd grade, we are 44 now.
He was the best man in my wedding.
Found out during Christmas of 2010 he was exposing himself to my 3 year old daughter.
I will never talk to him again. I am trying to put him in jail.

Aryana Alva
Twitter: Audy8Love
March 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm

whoa…

Cali March 10, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Yeah, whoa. This just goes to show you you never can tell sometimes what secret perversion someone has in mind and what they might do that seems totally out of character. That is a major dealbreaker for sure.

Freemind March 28, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Hi Guys..
I though I would share my story with you as I am heart broken as well and am crying hot tears while writing this,
I had a so called best friend since high school, we were very close especially that we lived in the same place so we walked together every day to our homes and we sat together in classes too.. We had great time and no one could ever get between us. I thought that she really loved me and cared about me. I left my other very close girl for her, and this latter was feeling bad that I was close to the one I live near and she all the time confronted me and told me how much she loves and how much I and this girl were different and we shouldn’t be best friends but I just didnt listen becuase I felt that every one was misjudging her. Anywayz, in my final year of high school, I had to move to a different country in which I lived 5 years, and I wasnt going back home for holidays, so basically I havent seen any of my friends for 5 years. Days passed and this girl was the only one i kept in touch with, she used to call me every second day text me and I really loved her. Destiny aimed and I had to go home for christmas, and I did meet her, when she first saw me she was so happy, then we went for a coffee and a long chat, I felt that she underestimated me becuase I was a normal girl, I didnt become as materialistic as she became and since I went back to the country i live in she never called or texted , she ignored my texts and basically rejected me for other girls, who according to her are better representatives than I am because I am a normal girl, I dont run after rich men or wear brands, I dont smoke or drink or take drugs. My best friends rejected me for that !!!! I cant believe it.. I am crying since beacue she broke my heart and trust. I feel really humilated and guess what? a month later, she texted me on her birthday day, blaming me because I didnt remember her!! well I did remember her, but i couldnr call, i was humilated enough, i was and i am feeling very bad, I lost trust in every people, I donno why whenver I give people much and be very nice to them, I am rejected. I feel very upset, it has been three months but I am sure I will get over it again, becuase for me now it is impossible that we become friends again, the bridge that she broke, for no reason, can never be built again. When every one rejected her, I respected her, I loved her, cared about her and was more than very nice to her, she rejected me and thats what I deserve. Thank you

cece April 24, 2012 at 9:52 pm

i am nine and i am just so sad cause my best friend was so mean to me i am pretty much crying so much that my eye balls will get so slipy that they will fall out i am so sad (cryes)

Kathryn April 29, 2012 at 11:58 am

I am so glad my google search led me here. Thank you for this blog. I am just fighting tears over some of the comments I’ve read – especially the one about not making friends after 30. I can’t even tell you how many important people have betrayed me at the most critical times of my life when I needed them the most. When my dad was dying, my friend of 37 years said some vicious things implying I should not feel sad. She also took the side of my stalker last fall telling me I had the problem, even though he tried to kill my dogs four times. She made light of it and said “so maybe he did throw a poison biscuit over the fence” as if it were no big deal. I love my dogs! That was the final straw.

A friend, a man I regarded as the father I never had refused to say “I’m sorry” or “My condolences” the morning my father passed away. All he would say is that he lost his parents too. I got a sympathy card from him four months after the funeral. I forgave his callousness. However, he then came to stay with me and STOLE several things from me. That was it. Another friendship ended – this one 11 years.

A woman I met who I thought was a really decent person stole a good gold necklace from me. I overlooked it as she was there for me when my dog died. That friendship eventually ended too, shortly after my father’s passing.

The man I thought was my soul mate hurt me terribly last fall in the midst of the stalking by telling me I was delusional. We spent one night together (after not seeing each other for two years) and he was very affectionate and loving, giving me the impression were we going to get together again. The next night he did a 180 and was cruel and I never saw him after that one night he was affectionate. To add insult to injury, he told me “my features had changed.” Wow, that hurt. I had lost my father after 10 years of Alzheimer’s in August of 2010, I was stalked commencing in August of 2011 and only my therapist has been there for me, I was driven out of my nice home of eight years due to the stalking (it was my new next door neighbor stalking me), and it’s only been one week since the stalking stopped (I hope it has stopped) at my new place.

I have no friends, no support, and trust no one except my therapist. I honestly don’t know at my age, over 50, if I will ever experience any happiness or ever have another friend. Sorry this is so long, but writing this has prevented me from picking up the phone to call the guy who hurt me so. I know I should not contact him as he hurt me repeatedly, but he is the only one who really knows me where I live. Sorry for the length of this.

Cali March 10, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I am sorry. I am in my 40′s and have begun to feel the same way. The friend I posted about in my response the author’s article – I just remembered she smacked my dog a bit and from then on I never brought him around her anymore. And then I felt betrayed by something small to anyone but me and that’s it. Dogs are our heart. Just to let you know, my mother made a few good friends in her late 50′s and still has them. Things are not perfect, but they are mostly decent people and any issues she’s had with them, she’s been able to work out in time. some friendship are like that and others are just really not worth hanging in there for. Try and get out to special interest groups that have things you enjoy doing. I read in a book that it can take about six months for a good bond to form with some people interpersonally in a group one on one. So don’t give up and have good boundaries. I knew the friends I had were not that great at times, but I kept giving them more and more chances. Now I am interested in finding friends who are wiser and doing much better than me or at least on the same path or line of interest. Sometimes friends without so much closeness can be really great. I make the mistake of telling too many friends too much about me and then when I am betrayed, I feel stupid as hell. Like why didn’t I keep my distance or listen to my instincts. I spend a lot of time alone as I tend to be more of an introvert, actually need time alone, and I also have some health conditions that make me tired a lot and low on energy so I have a dog and I try to be the best friend I can be to myself. It is how you feel that feedback gap that is important. There is a really good book out there that I recommend to you called “positive solitude” – it is really great. I hope you will give it a read. It may help as it helped me – a sensitive person who finds herself alone a lot and often due to there aren’t that many healthy people out there to get all that closed to! I remember my grandmother told my male cousin years ago, “You are better off with no friends than bad friends.”

janet austgen May 16, 2012 at 10:14 pm

a friend of mine for a long term. i thought for some reason that the person i had grown-up with was a caring and compassionate person. i had told her something about me that had happened to me that was abusive. she listened to me spill what had happened to me. and decided to ask the abusive person about it and deemed them more important. and reported back to me that i was making it all up and contended that i was crazy. threatening me with abuse to not talk about it. i was banished from the whole circle of friends shortly thereafter and they also reported that i was indeed crazy.
Years went by and i beat myself up about it over and over and over again. Because it was the truth it took a life of its own. and it became this huge stigma against me. i was constantly trying to forget what had happened turn the whole situation on myself. Tell myself it didnt happen, that eventually they would forget about it, and block it out too. and see the good person i had become.
I became completely isolated from people, and felt hated daily. i was diagnosed as severly depressed. I worked in the service industry so of course i had to be cheery and happy and humorous. But the amountof energy i was using was laying me down for long periods of time, so drained of emotion.
Due to a tragic event, I had to be reunited around these people. But i was too drained to even converse through expression. they were even more devious and even more threatening. Abusive and ignorant more than ever. it is a shame. they have reduced themselves to obeying denial. so it is so sad. Not one could face the monster. Why he could have done it to them all.
of course they dont think so…
but the thing is when i did come back and i faced them they seemed to think they were some how in charge. still in charge of me? maybe. but i just cant and hope and pray from here on out i will never ever forget what betrayal did to me and the lies surrounding it to make me believe their care is somehow more worthy. i will never ever allow this back in my life. The good thing is that i faced that demon, and although they physically violated me…I called them out. and they still tried to blame me, tell me I did wrong. But this time I can tell you I did not believe a word of it. And it severed any and all things that come out of their mouthes to me. GOOD RIDDANCE

Cali March 10, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I can relate and I am very sorry. I posted a comment to the author’s main post that explains some of what happened with me. It may not be the same as your situation, but the feeling remains and all the paranoia. I doubt my friends really believed this man hurt me as much as he did. Or if they did, they really didn’t care. Often the one who is the more popular or charming will when over the minds of those were not there and it did not affect. Just keep that in mind. I finally moved away from where I was it felt like such a stain on my life and my consciousness there – something I always had to overcome or get used to, etc. I am glad you called them out on violating you. I was emotionally violated and I know it cannot compare, but I have empathy for your situation. Often times, people just don’t want to believe that people they formed a certain opinion of or who have a certain standing in a community circle, can be capable of such deviousness. Obeying denial is a really cool term, by the way. In the end, we know the truth though others and the images of others might try to confuse us or make us feel bad about having been at the receiving end of that truth, but then it is a matter of moving on and severing ties from all the people that would know and support your abuser in any way.
I hope by now that things are much better for you!

Carly May 17, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Janet:

The friend you trusted betrayed a confidence. No matter how you cut it, I would question whether your friend really had your best interests at heart. Obviously, she didn’t.
Move on with your life and make new “groups” of friends from neighbors, co workers, aquaintences and old schoolmates. That way, your friend base will be well rounded. And that’s a good thing.

Cali March 10, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Carly – Thank you for this good advice! A well-rounded friends base. I love it. It is so much better than only having so many you are not sure you can trust. If you are busy among more than just a few people, things never too close but are healthy and close in a different way over time I believe. Something to think about….

Molly June 2, 2012 at 10:57 am

Thanks for sharing your story Stacey. But I have one question… Wouldn’t a friendship of more than 16 years be worth fighting for? Especially as you are the god-mother to her children and you shared a solid history together. Doesn’t that deserve a second chance?
I very strongly believe that friends forgive one another & move on together building new memories. Maybe you shouidnt have gone in to business together and just been mates! It seems like when we cut our friends out of lives, especially when they want to reconcile, we do it to get back at them, and your anger turns into bitterness. Read Poison Tree by WB Yates… We all have to be careful not to ditch the treasures in our lives through our own stubborn pride.
I do hope that you forgive each other. You may have really hurt her when you “challenged” her initially. Perhaps she was feeling pressured for various reasons. However, if on the other hand a friend is purely vindictive to you and betrays you, without wishing to resolve or apologize, I would move on. I always try to remain at peace with all my friends and if there is wrong done, I never assume the intention of that friend. This destroys friendships. One word: Forgive!!

lillie May 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I feel the exact same way i feel like my friends HATE me just because im trying to do the right thing.I just feel like my whole life is falling apart.I have like no friends at my school.Everyone just hates me. Expect my family.Those are the only people i can fall back on.

Marie July 16, 2012 at 10:31 am

I agree forgiveness will help you in time. But forgiveness does not mean that you will ever be BFFs again. I truly believe time heals all wounds. Just keep your heart open.

I am also experiencing a crushing loss of a friend of over 30 years. She asked for a sizable loan for a business she had never worked in. My husband, an astute businessman, was willing to work with her, but she was not willing to put together a business plan or tell her perspective business partner that she was getting all her money from us. Bottom line, she was willing to lie to her new partner and drag us into it. I saw it as a gross disrespect for us. My BFF assured us that the loan or no loan would have no affect our our friendship. All of a sudden she was too busy for us and could not return calls, emails or cards. We have not spoken since last October.

The tragedy is my 17 year old daughter is caught in the middle. My BFF was there for her and us while she was growing up. I am upset and hurt when my past-tense BFF emails her and wants to get together with her. I feel it is her way of getting at me. I want to get past it and just when I think I am okay, my old BFF contacts my daughter. I am at a loss. I hope to one day hear why she did this to me. My gut says she is jealous.

I have a handful of good friends to talk to so I know I am blessed. I don’t want to burden them and they know that my olds BFF has turned on me and hurt me. As a matter of fact this same BFF used another friend of mine to work a business deal and caught my friend in the middle and did not pay her for her work. so I know it is not just me. It still hurts though.

katie July 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm

my bff (chelsea) will rater hang out with this stuipid girl that i dont know insid of me! We do a bunsness together and now shes letting her join! Chelsea is doing a cooking club and she said me and her can pick teams but the other girl did it! And she put chelsea and her together and me with a 6 year old! And im 10! chelsea even told me the the girl was her best friend. I dont know what to do she just told me this 15 min. ago!!!!!

katie July 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm

chelsea if you read that this is my feelings and i told you NOT to search this

john July 18, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Just had to cut out a best friend that was a user. I still have trouble accepting that fact. Basically i think i liked the attention ot always having something to do. But this friend would put down how i look, the way i dress, ignore me when other friends were around…christmas day he asks me for a loan and badgers me until i give in. Gets sick in february and needs even more money. Had to take him to the doctor on my day off…was always willing to hang out when he had no money. His job is picking up, gets money and cant be bothered. I have to harass to try to get paid back, and he openly tells me he spent money on others out drinking everynight.

I guess some part of me whishes i wasnt used, or people dont try to take advantage of others. Towards the end i became so miserable and resentful that just led to constant fighting. I guess i realoze the person he is now…..im about to have a very personal surgery. Only told him about it. And got turned away because hes upset about the other night.

As much as it hurts to lose a friend, want someone to talk to the surgery about, it makes me realize some people are just not worth the tyoe of friend i am.

When u put it in black and white its kind of silly i feel bad for losing a friend like this.

Cali March 10, 2013 at 4:58 pm

You said to golden words to my ears – “…some people are not worth the type of friend I am.”

That can be so true. I struggle with this a lot and worry that maybe I expect perfection and then realize often it is that I am hoping that more people have good morals, better manners, and some common sense and I feel incredibly let down when I find out they don’t.

I have been betrayed by several friends in the last year and I discovered that I was attracted to an art and music scene that had a lot of messed up people in it. I allowed for imperfection for sure or for people to just be human, but some of them stole from me, didn’t pay me for things they hired me to do, didn’t care that some of my stuff didn’t get returned that they borrowed that had to do with my art, or blatantly aligned with people who had really hurt me.

One of them even had an issue of putting me down subtly in front of her friends and blowing me off when I needed her to keep plans with me.

So I am striking the balance of putting up with a certain amount of stuff and drawing the line when I feel I have had enough of one person and either backing off and not spending as much time in the friendship or just going cold and moving on. It gets lonely is the problem, but I am making it a point to nurture the few good friendships I still have and the one with myself so I have more self-respect and more self-reliance. As I said, I spend a lot of time alone and I think that makes me prey to too many dysfunctional types and I need to find ways to meet healthier people who are not half-insane and have better manners.

Good luck to you!

ShahanaKhan October 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Do you have any suggestions for when the betrayal is such that you *should* walk away, but not really sure you can?

I foolishly turned an ex b/f (who’d been one of my best friends since I met him & then started dating) into a “best friend” after the fact. Um… ‘with benefits’. Anyhow… one way or another, we’ve been together 7 years, and found out today that everyone except apparently him knew he was my best friend in the world. His betrayal: he lied to my cousin that he met (while with me!) and she flew to visit him for the weekend. He acted weird the last 3 days and so I went over to see what’s up. Walked in to find my cousin. My entire family opened their arms to him in welcome, he’s always been invited to functions and holidays, often went. Obviously he’s blacklisted from them now. My cousin is no longer talking to him and we’re trying to survive the damage to our relationship (she is/was my favorite cousin). The “say your piece, then walk away and shut up” makes sense. But I don’t know how. Every time in the past 5 years of our “friendship,” he’s been the one I shared everything with. And we communicated, in one way or another, almost daily. I know my situation is a bit odd and different, but I’m still losing my best friend.
Re: the cousin: I think she so much wanted to believe what he said was true, that she ignored any little voices saying to check with me first too. It wasn’t malicious on her part at all.

Cali March 10, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I hope things are better by now. I wrote in my journal that one of the worst things is to have loved a narcissist with a good heart. It was a major betrayal from the narcissist I was dating to call me every day and he felt like an anchor in my life and lead me on and then tell me one day that the relationship has been over for him months ago (but never got around to letting me know exactly how it was.) And he felt everything had been “pretty consenting” between us. I was sure we had a connection, but I never trusted him or did things entirely his way. I needed more time and he trounced me in the end with all that right before the holidays.

Cindy Lou December 27, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I also lost a best friend recently. We were friends for over 20 years. She even married my brother 5 years ago. It wasn’t until she was with John that I realized how truly misguided she was, and also not really my best friend. I have been her moral compass for the last 20 years. She used to say to me that I am the most honest person she knows, and now I know why, because she is a huge manipulator. I just simply, naively trusted that she loved me and would never hurt me. It is all those years together that really builds that bond. But in actuality, she was pulling my strings any way she wished like a puppet. And that’s what really really hurts. Knowing she never really cared for me. I understand that she has many personal issues that has brought her to the stage she is at. But because she never really loved or respected herself, she could never have loved or respected me. That’s the simple truth of it.
I have not spoken to her 6 months. She is still married to my brother, but barely. I don’t think they’ll last much longer. I hope for his sake they don’t. I’ve tried to make him understand how dangerous she really is, but he is just as stubborn and naive as I was. If it weren’t for their relationship, I would never have seen her for who she really is. Funny how I would let stuff slide all these years because it only affected me. But as soon as she was hurting my brother, the gloves and rose colored glasses were off.
I don’t want to see her, I don’t even have words for her. She couldn’t possibly hear them anyway. She’s too much in victim mode. The best I can hope for is that someday she will realize that she really really really messed up. I hope that she finds herself, and finds peace. But she will no longer take me with her on her roller coaster rides. I will always love her, but I love myself more.

Unknown January 6, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I feel like I’ve lost my best friend without her even knowing about it, I admire the fact that you talked with your best friend. My best friend has not betrayed me but she has not been there for me during a very very hard time in my life and to be honest I really don’t think I can talk with her about what I’m really feeling. But I believe that sometime people are in your life for a season some for a life time. I was really hoping she was a life time. Been through a lot with this friend, so happy that I got a chance to read your articial.
Unknown

Paul Hoy February 27, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Hello,

Excellent article on broken friendships through betrayal. It seems to me there are so many forms of betrayal between friends. Maybe the worst (is there a worst?) is the slow, insidious kind that leaves you unsure and in denial.

Paul
Paul Hoy recently posted..Close enough

Cali March 10, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I wanted to comment that I found your story very moving and I like that you acknowledge that one person’s dealbreaker is different than another’s. I went through a traumatic relationship cycle of almost five years with someone who turned out to have a personality disorder and it hurt me very much. That was the major betrayal. I had confided in who I thought were my closest friends and while I never expected anyone to take any sides, my closest one recently decided to accept an invite to this ex’s event and it hurt me very much. It sounds really petty, but honestly I would never go in support of someone who I felt had really hurt my one of my dearest friend and on a social media site for them to see – especially after they said how much it hurt them to keep seeing things about their somewhat celeb ex online. I’ve had other betray me over larger issues and have taken them back always to be sorry in the long run as they do something else again.
As Paul said too – sometimes it’s the slow, insidious kinds of betrayal that leave you unsure and in denial that get to you. I wrestled a lot over whether this sort of thing even was a betrayal, but the answer was in me that I had not been clear in the beginning that it was not a good idea of mine to befriend people who were friends of friends of my ex’s at all or that sort of thing. I needed to get much further away than I did. What helped me out and helped me make my decision to really start putting all of that behind me, besides the fact that I moved to another state very recently, was to consider the source. My friend is someone who puts up with bad behavior in her own relationship and betrays herself so why not betray me as well? And then I had to ask how have I betrayed my own self? By not getting even further away from a situation that caused me so much emotional trauma and made me literally ill. There is another reason as well to disconnect from this friend and I hate to be this kind of person, but it is the sadness of seeing someone in denial over their HIV status and beginning to show signs of early AIDS. So let her have her fun, but I have to take a step back and will always be there for her if needed, but this taking a step back and letting it percolate, as you suggest, means saving myself more grief as well. I look back at the city I left and I just see a whole pile of narcissistic and unhealthy people I should have stayed further away from, as much as I loved some of them. So healing maybe means putting it into a broader context of self-care and moving forward into health, not decline.
Even Buddha said to avoid foolish people as friends – and to learn what you can from them but don’t dwell in that dharma, move on to brighter experiences.

Maureen Lavery April 3, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Thank you for all the wonderful messages, they have been really helpful. Roughly 2 weeks ago I ended a friendship. I met this man while I was going through the worst possible situation and he was a great support to me at the time, but as I got on my feet the roles reversed. I stood by him through thick and thin and you wouldn’t believe what I did for this guy. To be honest, it was a one way street and I told myself that he couldn’t live without me, so I continued to feed him, buy him things when he needed them. I was on a low wage and ended up in debt trying to keep the two of us. He would stay at my house while I went to work. Anyway, he has been stealing from me. All my jewellery has gone along with 2 little gold rings that I’ve had for 40 years. Not worth much, but in sentimental value they were priceless. He has stolen all of my certificates, the paper part of my car licence and basically anything he could get his hands on. Before I ended the friendship I gave him a bag of cutlery and I bought a new set. Well he has also taken half of my new set of cutlery. I just cannot get my head around it. I am now very aware that he is capable of anything and has obviously never cared about me in any way and i’m a bit concerned he may do something else to me. I’ve had the locks changed and have informed the Police in case anything happens to me or my car. That’s the thing, I now realise that I don’t know who he is at all and I feel totally violated and creeped right out. It’s a horrible feeling to know he has been rummaging through all my personal stuff. I’m so hurt and have lost all hope at this moment in time. I know i’ll get there eventually though. Thank you for all of your posts. xx

Louise April 30, 2013 at 9:21 am

Wow, I am so glad I’ve found this site. I’ve recently had a horrible experience with someone I had only know for a short time, but held is massive high regard, and totally adored. I helped him out when he needed friends, even though hardly knowing him. Our friendship blossomed, and I thought we were really good friends, and then one day it went to the next level but it felt totally natural. We spent a couple of weeks being in close contact, and seeing each other regularly, and then one weekend after being away, he suddenly went quite on me. I knew something was up, felt that intuition in my stomach, and so messaged him to ask if everything was ok, as first and foremost I was his friend, and I hoped he could speak to me. He eventually came to visit me, and when I asked him if he had met someone new, or had I done something to upset him, he denied it to my face, even laughing at me and saying that we would catch up properly the following week. We made plans the following week to meet for dinner, but in the day time, whilst I was at work I received a text from him saying we needed to end our physical relationship. It was clinical, and I couldn’t believe that he couldn’t wait to speak to me face to face when I would be seeing him only hours later. When I said this to him, he replied to tell me he had met someone else, and it was too hard for him no matter how he had told me. I was in shock, not that our relationship would be over, but that someone I thought was such a good friend couldn’t show me the same compassion and decency I had shown him. I ended our communication with a message wishing him luck, but that I was hurt about how he had acted, and I believed I’d meant more to him than that. I’ve spent the last week feeling numb, like I’ve lost a limb or something. I deleted his number for fear of sending something I’d regret, and unfriended him on Facebook so as not to see what he was up to, but yet feel completely separate from it.
All my friends have been an amazing, and so supportive, but have encouraged me not to contact him and to let sleeping dogs lie. I miss him so much, but he really hurt me, but I really wish we could save the friendship, as I hate the feeling of anger towards someone I loved as a friend. So many different thoughts have entered my mind, like life is too short to be angry or to hold grudges, and on the other hand I think it’s him who did me wrong, therefore I should cry, mourn and then forget. Any advice would be amazing. Perhaps impartial advice is just what I need.

francesbuchel May 3, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Hi Louise, I’m writing just to tell you last night I spent several hours writing a pc of my heart out to you about your situation and after pressing ‘submit’ I can’t find it anywhere!……..The only thing I can find is my picture logo with the title saying “what to do when your best friend betrays you.”……..When I click on that “highlighted sentence underneath my photo it just brings me back to this BLOG and I still see “your comments posted” but nothing of my ‘REPLY TO YOU?!’
I can’t find it anywhere! It’s just gone! I’m NOT very SAVY with ‘TWEET’ which is what I “Clicked on” after “Submit”……….I think the problem is I didn’t ‘CLICK ON REPLY’ under your name. Does that mean the Post I made is forever gone with the wind????

Achir June 21, 2013 at 2:27 am

You know Louise, the best advice is – “in relationship be prepare for Whenever and Whatever”. You really can’t predict things. And thus don’t let uncertainties of life taking over you. Be good to yourself :) :)

unknown May 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm

My life has went to a complete wreck.The only people who I can rely on is my family.My friends have betrayed me what can i do.

Ana May 15, 2013 at 11:52 pm

What do you do when you tell someone you considered a friend at work a confidence and the next day, after work, your boss hits you with what you told this person practically verbatim? That happened to me the other day at work. What a shitball!

Achir June 21, 2013 at 2:16 am

Hey Stacey,
Am suffering a betrayal from 8 year long friendship. My best friend fell in love for a girl, who was cheating on him. I warned him at each and every step but he didn’t trust me. Even when he abused me, I remained patient and tried my best to prove the scenario. But he broke our 8 year long friendship for a girl who is still cheating on him (of which I am sure coz I caught her red handed many times.)
I wish I had read your story and article to come out of it earlier. But its still helpful. THANKS !!

A. Scott June 25, 2013 at 7:43 am

Friend of 9 years, like a sister, knows my soul, godmother to my children, left me out of the blue. We had had bumps in the road along the way, as all relationships do. We worked through them. She was always so surprised that I was willing to work through things with her and be so loyal to her. She was so needy of me, always telling me to never leave her and that she could never do life without me. I was always there for her. Two weeks before she ended our friendship, she wrote me a beautiful letter for my birthday about how we are friends through thick and thin, through the trials and tribulations of life, that she hopes that this year is the best for me. We had had a disagreement a couple weeks prior about our children. My child had presented a gift to hers and her child had not not accepted it graciously, but ripped it up b/c it was not something she wanted. We had been down this path before–my kids tend to be more socially graceful and hers not as much. No matter how many times I have told her that I don’t judge her or them for this, she won’t believe me. I don’t judge them, no, but I do prefer the behavior to be addressed because my child was standing there after seeing the gift she presented being torn up. But my friend tends to make excuses for her children (it was hot, she’s only 6, etc.) instead of honoring both children’s experience. And when I bring it up, then I am judging everyone, her parenting, the child, etc. Her anxiety about it is “caused” by me and since she can’t manage it, she says the friendship can’t work. So, this last time, she felt it was time to end this wonderful 9 year friendship AND the friendship of my children who have known each other since birth. Not only that, but she did it by letter via mail, very cold from a woman who’s been my best friend, confidant, sister for this many years. She was always the one who needed me, who promised me to never leave her, who was so jealous and scared when I’d make new friends b/c she thought she wouldn’t be my main friend and she left me in the dust, just like that. I am in so much pain and so are my children. I don’t know how I will ever find that kind of a connection again. I think that stuff with the children is workable and anyway the children mature and she and I could have gone on to be friends for years. I guess even though she made it seem that I was so valuable, really, she was more valuable to me. I wrote her a long letter telling her that I am so sorry and she never even acknowledged it at all, let alone responded to it. It’s so unlike the compassionate person I was friends with. So sad. I would never hurt children this way. I would work it out just for the sake of the children remaining friends. My daughters lost their best friends at the start of summer. It’s so hard to watch that pain on a 9 year old and 6 year old’s face and not be able to explain. If anyone has any kind words, I could sure use them. I just keep asking the universe to help her see that friends are too valuable to lose.

Sarina July 22, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Completely feel you on this one .. I am still trying to cope with bf loss :(
Betrayal is betrayal …
in your head is forever but it was never mutual and they were only there for themselves same thing happened to me in a different way .. and I’m struggling with sadness and hurt

Sarina July 22, 2013 at 10:03 pm

It’s forever *

Dave October 25, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I resently had a friend say another friend of mine say everything bad you could possibly say about someone. I later heard from an anonymous source that my friend lied. When I confronted him he said he never said that. Later the story changes that he heard what he heard. The story has given me new ideas about what to do and I have never been so relieved. I hope you all pay attention to this and take by my example.

PLEASURE November 16, 2013 at 12:57 am

Oh my Lord Azeez, I GOT TERRY BACK. Im so excited, It only took a 3days for him to come home. bless divinity and bless god. i must be dreaming as i never thoughts he would be back to me after all this time. I am so much shock and just cant believe my eyes. thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart.

seo January 6, 2014 at 8:20 pm

This is very interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined
your feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post.
Also, I’ve shared your web site in my social networks!

Eric Gray Buffalo January 17, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Valuable info. Lucky me I found your website by chance, and I am surprised why this coincidence didn’t took place in advance!

I bookmarked it.

Mdhuset AS January 18, 2014 at 11:52 am

After I initially commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new
comments are added- checkbox and now whenever a comment is added I get four emails
with the same comment. Perhaps there is a means you are able to remove me from that service?
Many thanks!