#NicheAmnesty.TV- Blogging Without Borders: Episode 1

August 5, 2011 · 51 comments

Warning: Illegal string offset 'status_txt' in /home/theblack/public_html/www.mylifestylemax.com/wp-content/plugins/share-and-follow/share-and-follow.php on line 1211

Warning: Illegal string offset 'status_txt' in /home/theblack/public_html/www.mylifestylemax.com/wp-content/plugins/share-and-follow/share-and-follow.php on line 1194

• Sharebar

Wow, where did this week go ha?

This is our very first episode of #NicheAmnesty.TV  and I’m nervous but very excited.This project is a work in progress, so I would really appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism to help me make it better.You can do that by emailing me here: stacey@mylifestylemax.com

Otherwise there is nothing for me to say other than THANK YOU for tuning in, and please keep sending in your questions once you know what this months theme is. I look forward to hanging with you in the conversation below.

This weeks mention goes to: Carolyn Nicander Mohr at www.thewonderoftech.com

My post of the week goes to: Dan Andrew at www.tropicalmba.com

It’s all love.xx

Previous post:

Next post:

{ 51 comments… read them below or add one }

Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech
Twitter: carpathia16
August 5, 2011 at 8:15 am

Hi Stacey, Wow! Way to go! What a fantastic start to an exciting series. I’m so glad you chose to use video as your format. Your energy and enthusiasm shine through. And as I said before, I could listen to your lovely voice for days.

Great question about which blogs I choose to follow and how I follow them. I most closely follow blogs where I learn from the content. If I finish reading the blog knowing more than I did before I arrived, I feel satisfied, as if I ate a good meal.

If the blogger is warm (Adrienne), engaging (Jens), funny (Bill Dorman), delightful (you), instructive (Mike), touching (Bonnie), innovative (Stan), generous (Mouh), fascinating (Ashvini), friendly (Janet), energetic (Samantha) or otherwise engaging (the other awesome bloggers I haven’t mentioned yet), those are qualities that will keep me coming back. Those blogs are like fine restaurants serving my favorite meals with friendly waiters.

I’m afraid I’m a bit haphazard when it comes to following them. I subscribe to many, via email or RSS, but often I arrive at a blog through CommentLuv on my blog or others’ blogs, tweets, and Triberr feed. Sometimes I read a blog on my iPad and can’t leave a comment so I try to head back there later. But I always try to leave a comment (eventually) on the posts of bloggers whose posts I enjoy.

Thanks so much for starting this great movement, Stacey, and for keeping the ball rolling with this exciting series. Thank you also for the shoutout. I am happy to have contributed even in a small way.

Best of luck with this awesome video. I’m off to spread the word! :-) Have a super weekend!
Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech recently posted..Poll: Email – Are You a Purger or a Hoarder?

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Hey lady…loved the way you dived right in and left examples of the bloggers you like. Please feel free to leave any links you feel we might like next time also. I’d especially be interested in one for Ashvini…fascinating ha! I love fascinating…. It’s funn, y because I really warm to you..but you write on a topic I know am totally un-knowledgeable about…so the sad thing is for the most part…I don’t see that I would have much to add to the conversation, that would not make me look like a drive by commenting twit, lol.
I think if anything, yours is the sort of blog that could teach me things, but I wouldn’t be able to help anyone else out, if you know what I mean : ( Darn it Carolyn, can’t you write about fashion or boys…I could wax lyrical about those topics all day long, lol.
Your more than welcome about the shout out…you took the time to articulate what I’d been thinking… into an email..so credit where credit is due. How long have you been blogging for Carolyn…what’s your day job…how do you even know all this ‘tech stuff;…I mean like seriously….where do you even get all this knowledge???

Adrienne
Twitter: adriennesmith40
August 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Don’t feel alone Stacey… I took instantly to Carolyn and the majority of what she writes is so over my head but I let her know that. But you know what, she’ll take the time to help you understand and because of that, I bought my first iPod Touch upon her recommendation. Would have purchased it through her if she were selling them. Carolyn just has that way about her which is why I now consider her to be a very good online friend.

Sorry, just had to pipe in here. I could so relate to not being a techie kind of girl! :-)
Adrienne recently posted..If It Ain’t Broke, Don’t Fix It

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 10:52 pm

How’s my lovely Texan lady doing? You know what Adrienne, that’s some stellar advice you gave and I’m going to take it ( you pipe in WHENEVER you see fit). I think the thing I’m feeling is fear! Fear that I won’t get it, look silly, and ————— insert bloggers name here…..will think I’m a bit of a twit no matter what I say ( Carolyn’s is not the only blog where I feel outta my depth)
I actually have lots of questions about tech related stuff, but precious few answers.
So I’m going to set myself the challenge of going over to Carolyns place – regular…then if I don’t understand what she is talking about….asking for a further explanation! I bet there will be other non-techies like you and I who will breath a sigh of relief just reading her reply!

Adrienne
Twitter: adriennesmith40
August 6, 2011 at 11:59 am

Stacey, I have felt silly and ridiculous SO many times but you know what? There are people online today that really do want to help us understand and Carolyn is one of those people. You have a problem understanding something, just email her. She’ll help, I promise. She’s so patient thank goodness.

Watch out, you’re going to be one of those non-techie ladies soon. Or kind of!! You’re probably like me, I’m taking baby steps. :-)
Adrienne recently posted..If It Ain’t Broke, Don’t Fix It

Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech
Twitter: carpathia16
August 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Thanks so much for your kind words, Stacey and Adrienne. I really appreciate it!

But I do apologize for writing about tech in ways you don’t understand. I try to make tech understandable for everyone (after all, that’s the whole purpose for the blog).

Feel free to let me know if you don’t understand something. I know it’s hard to leave a comment asking for a further explanation so feel free to email me, DM me, or otherwise let me know if I need to clear things up. Believe me, if you two smart ladies don’t understand what I’m trying to explain, then others will be in the same boat.

That’s why I do a Q&A column on Fridays, to show what questions people have. I never reveal any identifying information about the people who asked the questions. That way no one has to feel embarrassed.

I know tech can be tough to understand. But the tech world keeps moving faster and faster so I want to make sure everyone has a chance to keep up!

Thank again for all of your kind words!
Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech recently posted..Tech-Knowledgy: What’s Data?

Bonnie Squires
Twitter: bonnie67
August 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Hi Stacey

After reading your comment to Carolyn I had to laugh
not ever one is tech savvy. All so no matter what the questions
is you should ask any because that is how we learn. If you don’t
feel comfy leaving it on Carolyn blog send it in a DM on twitter or
email her. I’m sure she be glad to answer it. All so no questions is
a dumb questions or like you say that would not make me look like a drive by commenting twit, lol.

Just had to put my 2 cents in this one.

Carolyn I’m honored that you mentioned me in the blog above
thank you so much..
Bonnie Squires recently posted..Laugh, Love, and Blogging #Triberr

Stacey August 7, 2011 at 5:39 am

Your 2 cents is what this is all about. I have always been intimidated by anything techinical. Its like I have convinced myself that my mind just does not work that way, but I need to confront my fears and I’m pretty sure just speaking up and asking the questions that I have is a great way to start. Thanks Bonnie

Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech
Twitter: carpathia16
August 7, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Bonnie, thanks for your kind words too! You’re right, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Sometimes I need to know what people don’t know. Like the reader who asked me on Twitter what Data was. That’s an important concept and I was very glad she asked because I should have explained that much earlier. The way I see it, if my readers don’t understand something, well, that’s entirely my fault.

Bonnie, I’m so glad we connected through #NicheAmnesty. Stacey the #NicheAmnesty dividends just keep coming! :-)
Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech recently posted..Tech-Knowledgy: What’s Data?

Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech
Twitter: carpathia16
August 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm
Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech
Twitter: carpathia16
August 6, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Stacey, just so you know, my blog isn’t written for techies. The Wonder of Tech is written for those who feel a bit behind the curve (or way behind the curve) with tech and want to catch up. No silly questions at The Wonder of Tech, everyone is just trying to learn. So you may just find you enjoy reading about tech. I try to make it fun!

No one would read what I have to say about fashion. Or boys (I only have girls). But I could write about husbands. Oh yes I could! Maybe a guest blog somewhere someday…

I’ve been blogging for six months. My day job is being a mom. That’s much tougher than blogging! I love this tech stuff so I read, listen to podcasts, etc. There’s always something new in tech!

Thanks again for your kindness and congrats on the first installment!
Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech recently posted..Tech-Knowledgy: What’s Data?

Betsy Cross
Twitter: BetsyKCross
August 5, 2011 at 8:44 am

Hey Stacey,
I’ll visit anyone’s site if the title is interesting, a friend of mine has RT’d it, or if I know you.
I’ll come back if the site is relevant to my life, or If I feel like you’re standing on higher ground than I am and can inspire me or make me think.
This morning I had a guest blogger respond to one of my comments in a nasty tone. She didn’t disagree w/what I’d said, but implied she didn’t have time for a conversation.
That’s the one thing that will keep me coming back.TALK TO ME! I don’t mind disagreements. And if you just want to talk at me, that’s okay. Just take the comment section down!
I tried subscribing to blogs thinking I’d save time sifting through my feed. Found out I’m too impatient and I’m up too early for most new stuff of the day. I’ve heard it said. “Be careful what you wish for.” but I WANT to see new blogs. Eventually the stuff I like is the only stuff I’ll read. ‘Til then, overload I guess!

Betsy

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Betsy….I may need you to make that call..every time I think about it, I feel quite ill!!! Anyways…You bring up a really interesting point about bloggers who talk ‘at you’ ..rather than with you! What’s with that?
Marianne Worely wrote an interesting post about social media friendship recently, where you spoke about her dissatifaction with the approach some bloggers take to their readers. I was inclined to agree with many of her points. You seamed to pop up on my radar from out of no where a few weeks ago..but the thing I love about your comments is I can always really feel you in them….and the references you make to your own life and personal experiences. The way you share around the blogosphere is really powerful. I mentioned over on Erica’s blog the other day, that I wondered how you kept up with everything the way you do..what with 6 children at home? What time do you get up lady…5am, lol….No wonder you don’t see the new stuff for the day : )
Come share with us the blogs that inspire you…I get the feeling your much more well read than I am! feel free to leave a link here

Betsy Cross
Twitter: BetsyKCross
August 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Hey Stacey,
8 of the wee ones will be home this weekend all stressed out…college tuition, cars,etc. Sooo…I get up at 4am to prep my brain and soul for the day.I wrote on Bill Dorman’s blog yesterday about not knowing how it all started, but I’ve found REALLY good writers on Twitter.I love @CharlesHale and @BillyCoffey if I want to cry (they post regularly). Then @TheJackB usually pops into the feed. (He’s making me cry lately, too) followed by @TruthPassionJoy (You HAVE to listen to El:”Good morning peeps. How’s your day goin’” Hope it’s a good say so far” Cracks me up w/ joy) and Bernardo @yourgreatlifetv (I had words with him when I first found him about swearing! HAHA! I can’t believe I did that!). Then Lori comes on @lifeforInstance . That’s when my head starts spinning. @BillDorman and @NancyDavis and @JohnFalchetta appear soon thereafter. I added @Faryna and @DinoDogan (DIY?) this week which has tipped me to near insane. Add to that the links that these people share…sometimes. I miss your blog, Stacey. But this is good, too.
Betsy Cross recently posted..The Value of Sharing

Bonnie Squires
Twitter: bonnie67
August 5, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Hi Betsy

I’ve had many of those days where i would ask
a person not to curse and remind them that there
are children on here. You should have seen my first
week on twitter i added some little robot guy and some
other person for the life of me i can’t think of his name I
want to say Terry but I’m not sure. To I had just come from
a site that i got sick of the drama and defending myself and
others. But I had like some of the tweets the guy put out but
come to find out he served jail time for some thing he did on
the internet some thing to do with some pills and saying they
would cure x y and z which was false. the thing is he lost ever
thing his money spent jail time and this robot just kept bad mouthing
him. i told the robot guy he serviced his time has learned his lesson
to leave him alone. well he didn’t. You know what neither one is no
longer on twitter the guy closed ever thing down. which i found sad.
Bonnie Squires recently posted..Laugh, Love, and Blogging #Triberr

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Oops..well you two ladys must cringe sometimes when you read my stuff. I made the decision when I started blogging that I would write the way I talk; bad language included. Unfortunately I can be a bit rough around the edges with my language. I’m as articulate as the next person when I need to be, but sometimes use the language that fits what I’m trying to say..or fits me…no offence meant!
I love the way Bernardo breaks out the odd cuss word in his vlogs…to me that make all the great advice he gives even more palatable because I know he is human. The only problem I have with Berns blog – which is not even a problem persee..is he puts out soooooooooo much cool stuff, I can hardly keep up. I could watch http://www.yourgreatlifetv.com…for hours given half the chance

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Love that…..you have children old enough to drive. Seriously, from your avatar pic…you look in your 30s! I’m the oldest of 7 children. One December 27th I usually invite all my brothers and sisters to my house..cook up a big feed…and it’s a total free for all! People everywhere, perched on sofa arms,,,on the floor..eating, talking.. laughing…eating more. I’m smiling just thinking about it. I absolutely love coming from such a big family. I may have to adopt me a whole bunch of kids..as I don’t think there is much chance I’ll naturally be having that many. But never say never ha!, lol. Thanks for sharing your favourite bloggers…we like many of the same people. Jackb…is awesome, he writes like a dream. I never know what the heck he is going to come out with next. He wrote a post about his experience of going out with two women barn dancing once, which was just ace. There are a few names you mentioned that I don’t know though…will be going on a ‘twitter following’ rampage soon for sure

Betsy Cross
Twitter: BetsyKCross
August 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Stacey,
YOU need to make the call. Because you’ll feel great.Write something down. Figure out which one is the most important and ask that one 1st. Maybe a call to ask if it would be okay if you send out a letter. Maybe you could do just that. Just ask a couple questions like,”Did you know (who?) (when?) just to help you figure out if you’re on the right path. (I’d email, but I know you must be swamped!)
Betsy Cross recently posted..The Value of Sharing

Betsy Cross
Twitter: BetsyKCross
August 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Stacey,
I love you and Bern….it was just one of those days. I regretted saying something almost immediately. And I agree. He has so much good stuff. Weekends are harder. Maybe I’ll use them to watch and read blog reruns!
Betsy Cross recently posted..I Hate Saying Goodbye

Elena Patrice
Twitter: WGB2U
August 5, 2011 at 8:54 am

Hello Stacey!

First, let’s get to the important stuff … damn nice necklace … you look smashing!! :)

Now … great video, great way to get started! This blogging/social media thing is relatively new to me (but isn’t it that way for everyone?!); however, prior to diving in, I studied how it worked and weeded my way though. Who I follow and which blogs I read are very much like my reading habits in general; I am drawn to business and inspiration period. I am not what I call a frivolous reader; if it doesn’t having depth or purpose than I’m out. The blogs I began to follow so often led me to other great blog/bloggers simply because like attracts like. Now there is quirky side to me that dances on the fringes and doesn’t make sense to some people as to what attracts me to their material, but my wacky head gets it … there’s something in their greatness and like a moth to the flame, I’m there.

I manage to follow these interests fairly well. Sometimes I can’t catch up with them until late evenings or weekends or even days later. Some that I initially followed I’ve dropped because they veered in a direction that just didn’t work for me anymore or we “outgrew” one another ;), but I’m always grateful because they brought me somewhere better along the way.

This is going to be a very enlightening journey for you and for those who participate and I’m glad to know about it and share! BIG s!

Have a safe, faboo weekend my friend! Congratulations on a wonderful start of something even more wonderful-er! ;) He, he!!

Abundant kindness & blue skies,

Elena
Elena Patrice recently posted..Small Business Owner, You Can’t Handle the Truth!

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Hey hot chic..how are you ..hows your week been? Yes, let gets the important stuff out the way. Necklace is from Topshop, lol.
I really like what you say that ” if it doesn’t have any depth or purpose… I’m out”. I think it was all these blog which ended up being culled from the reader today. The ones that just weren’t feeding me in anyway to warrant being given too much of my time. I’d really appreciate if you could share with me..us…some of the more wackier blogs that you read? One of my favourite writers is Derek Potocki his posts are pretty short..but he always leave me clapping for more. Same with JK the hustler and Frank and Germaine from ‘A Spark Starts’. There not ‘feel good’ bloggers… ” 101 ways to ……………. insert thing of your choice here. Rather they take you on a journey, or call you on your BS…or make you think about things in an interesting way! How do you feel about commenting on blogs days after the post has gone live and you’rE like commenter 112? Do you jump right in…or go….ahhhh…forget it?

Elena Patrice
Twitter: WGB2U
August 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Stacey, it’s “forget ’bout it” if you’re Italian! ;) Me “forget ’bout it” … heck no! :)

Well, one of my favs is Extreme John http://www.extremejohn.com/ probably ranks in my tippy top for sure because he’s this amazing combination of knowledge, fight, kindness, in-your-face-ness, inspiration and flat out bizarro-ness that I adore! He rocks the house again and again and I’ve probably learned more about small biz from him than most anyone else. He’s totally worth following on Twitter, FB; the whole nine yards! I’m double with you on Jk – he’s the man among men that’s for sure!! (I keep betting that he smells divine too!) ;) I’m going to check out the others you mention. Mark Stevens of MSCO is another one I bow down to reading because he’s a fantabulous writer who touches the soul! He is a raging conservative capitalist who has a tremendous pulse on America, business and entrepreneurship. If there was ever a man defined as a romantic Renaissance businessman, it’s him! His posts have made me cry many a time http://www.msco.com/blog/.

As far as commenting ten yards in the universe after countless others, well … I look at it this way … it’s ok to be “fashionably late” to the party right?! Darn, I’m not superwoman, I do the best I can and let’s just keep positive here and say, “Well, they saved the best for last!” ;) At least that makes me feel better. He, he!! Honestly, I don’t think too much about it – maybe I should ey?! Hmm…

Keep on keepin’ on girl! You make my day! It’s been a week that tested my patience a few times, but I’m alive and well, so let’s carry on! I hope yours was memorable! Wishing you a great weekend too! Let’s catch up next week! :)

Happiness,

Elena

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Thanks for sharing those cool bloggers who resonate with you. I can see my reader getting full to bursting soon enough …all over again, lol

Elyse Bruce
Twitter: mic_mac
August 5, 2011 at 10:19 am

Hi Stacey ~

Love the new project and love the way you have about you that puts people instantly at ease.

I have 3 different approaches to reading blogs:

1. If the blog title intrigues me, I’ll check out the article and then based on that, I may check out the rest of the blog;
2. If someone I respect suggests a blog to check out, I will definitely check out a few article on the blog; or
3. If the blogger or blog site is part of my perseverative interests.

Sometimes what I find on the blog site leads me to subscribe to it but most often I bookmark it in my “Favorites” tab and check what’s on that blog site once a week (doing this fits neatly into my weekly schedule and makes for a nice leisurely morning of blog reading rather than running here and there for a bit here and there every day).

I do, however, break my blog site rule when I know someone is starting something new or if they’re excited about a new venture or has a very important update to share …. like launching NicheAmnesty.TV.

And like Carolyn, I’m now off to spread the word to my online friends!
Elyse Bruce recently posted..Episode 4: Toddler Science

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Hey there my new blog buddy..so good to see you here and really enjoy our little banter, lol. You have to excuse me, I didn’t really understand what you mean by “perseverative interests???
I like the way you and Kamela seam to have a set time each week that you put aside for reading blog posts. Hmmmm..might have to follow you guys with this. At the moment I feel a bit like I’m running around like a headless chicken. See the thing is with some bloggers that you like….if you don’t get to the table early…you are commenter ’129′…then you spend another 45 minutes just reading the comments as most of them are so good…it’s like reading a second post….or occasionally what you would have said, has been said far better by at least 6 other people and all you have left to add is ” great post”, which apparently makes you a drive by commenter, lol. So after all that reading, you end up not commenting anyway! I’m actually finding it really hard to stay on top of all the good content coming out by writers I respect….especially those I’m in tribes with..not sure if you know about http://www.triberr.com..if you don’t check it out.
Thanks for breaking your reading rule, coming over, sharing your strategy and spreading the word…..keep rocking up…we like you here : )

Elyse Bruce
Twitter: mic_mac
August 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Stacey wrote: ” … I didn’t really understand what you meant by “perseverative interests??? … ”

There are areas of interest, areas of great interest and then there are areas of perseverative interests. A perseverative interest is one where there’s a impactful tendency for an impression, idea, or feeling to dissipate more slowly than what is expected to be the norm and to recur with immense clarity and recollection during subsequent experiences.

In other words, a person with an area of interest will say, “I know a little about that ….” and share what he or she knows. A person with an area of great interest will say, “I know a fair bit about that …” and share what he or she knows. A person with an area of perseverative interest will say, “I actually know quite a bit about that … ” and then not only share what he or she knows, but offers to send you documentation, studies, essays, dissertations, etc., on the subject.

If you’re familiar with the television series “The Big Bang Theory” the character known as Sheldon Cooper has perseverative interests. :-) In this very short clip from YouTube, Sheldon addresses in small part one of his perseverative interests (teleportation).

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZzSrAIp-E

And this very short clip fro You Tube shows how Star Trek is another one of Sheldon’s perseverative interests.

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQmfCOGmFU

Oh wait … I think you may be noticing that providing factual information with linkage, data and proof may just be one of my perseverative interests. LOL!
Elyse Bruce recently posted..Episode 4: Toddler Science

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Now this is what I mean by sharing. I could have acted like a knew exactly what you were talking about…except now I would actually know what “perservative interests” are! Thanks for clarifying that so fully Elyse. Just listened to your podcast…I was right when I said your son sounded ace…go Lewis! Seams like he got you big time with all that bread buying, lol

Lori Gosselin August 5, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hi Stacey,
This is cool – especially to be looking at you in Bali and hearing the background noises!
To answer your questions – I follow the blogs that feel good to me. I’ve been lucky that all of the bloggers who’ve shown up at LFI have great blogs themselves and if I can contribute to their conversations I will. Sometimes the topic and I don’t really go well together but if I can I’ll tweet it out anyway by way of support.
I put the blogs I follow into my Reader and into folders there. I prefer to do it that way rather than email. Then when I have time and when I schedule time, I go into the Reader and go visiting! I”m still discovering great blogs from bloggers who have been visiting but who I haven’t gotten to know very well. My folders are bulging, but I love it!
How do you keep up with your blogging communities and how do you decide who to follow Stacey?
Lori
Lori Gosselin recently posted..What’s Your Ikigai?

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Hey lady…if you check the comments..I added my answer to the question. What I’ll try to do, is make sure I add my response to the question as the first comment..so everyone can see inside my head, lol. I’ve just done what you do..which is create folders inside my reader..it so needed to be done. They have headings like: Personal development blogs I like…… blogs about blogging……affliate marketing blogs etc etc. There is currently about 60 blogs in my reader, and that was after I did a major cull of about 30, that like Kamela mentioned..”I’d out grown”. So what blog you you find yourself compelled to read each week? ..feel free to share a link here …it always interests me to see what people are really into…and it’s great to discover new blogs I may never have found myself. Derek Potocki of http://www.goalsblogger.com put my onto http://www.almostbohemian.com today…am I’m looking forward to going over there for a bit of a read through at some point this weekend.

Lori Gosselin August 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Hi Stacey,
I don’t know how I missed that! Here are some of the many blogs I enjoy: Farnoosh’s blog: http://www.prolificliving.com/…I love Frank’s work at asparkstarts.com and more, but this one I’m just discovering today: http://taught2think.com and of course, I always go immediately when I see a bolded post from : http://www.mylifestylemax.com ;-)
Lori
Lori Gosselin recently posted..What’s Your Ikigai?

kamela August 5, 2011 at 11:56 am

Hi stacy looking fab as usual great video girl lovin it

most blogs i follow are based on my interest but they are a few that teaches or bring awearness to certain issues that also sparkes my interest. Everyone has an opinion that dose make everyone right and if i can’t learn anything relativity new or they seem to lost there direction i don’t need to continue following. Interactive blogs are best for me they require my opinions and make me feel like more than just a mere follower.

Friday nights and saturday mornings are my designated update times i can read and obsorb the information fully because my mind is clear. If i find that i’ve out grown a certain blogs i won’t visit as often but probably still have great info so i don’t stop following.

what i love about your blog besides the abvious is that your doing something that i’ve been wanting to do for some time, traveling experiencing different cultures and living outside the social norm. very courageous keep doing your thing girl i’ll be looking out cheers!!!!!!!!!

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

That’s interesting that you don’t stop following, but don’t visit those blogs quite as often! It’s funny, I never really thought you could ‘grow out of blogs’, like clothes..but your right. There comes a time when some blogs just aren’t a good fit any more, and spending time there becomes more of a chore than a pleasure, obligatory almost; as you had always shown you support before. I like that you have designed update times, I try to do an hour every morning which normally ends up as two, and means I don’t see sun light until lunch time grrrrrr. Thank you for taking some time to come and hang out here Kamela..I appreciate it..and your kind words. Living this way isn’t always easy, you have moments where you go..OMG..what am I doing..but its the only way of life that actually makes any real sense to me…I’ll make sure I live it extra hard so you get a serving of this adventurous goodness too. BTW, what’ s your favourite blog to hang out at, feel free to leave a link so we can all go check it out.xx

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm

So, when I first started blogging I seamed to end up following lots of blogs about ‘blogging’. “When the student is ready – the teacher will come” kind of thing. But as I came to understand blogging more, I branched out to find different kinds of blogs, and it’s weird, because even though there are 101010 million blogs, it still seams like the sphere is incredibly small and you see the same people everywhere. Now I choose to spend time at blogs that give me food for thought, blogs where I Iike the writing and feel compelled to shared my thoughts. I don’t spend much time hanging around too many A-lister blogs mainly because a lot of them don’t respond to their readers, or, I can find the content a little too safe and I have always preferred more intimate and interactive occasions.
As for how I stay on top of it all? Well the simple answer, is I don’t! This week I stared to put some systems in place, like creating folders in my reader, subscribing to all those people I actually want to spend time with ,even those without the obligatory e-book to tempt you in : )…and wait for it…un-subscribing to many of the blogs I used to read when I first started. I had 514 unread posts…something had to give.
I was giving myself a really hard time about how inconsistent I was with it all, with my commenting, with not having something to share everyday on every post. I’ve decided to chill out. My new moto is” do my best, spend time where I feel inspired and welcome..and don’t worry about the rest”

Adrienne
Twitter: adriennesmith40
August 5, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Hey Stacey,

I loved the video too and am so glad you mentioned the wonderful Ms. Carolyn from The Wonder of Tech. Boy, she does know her stuff doesn’t she. She’s just fabulous! She’s definitely the go to girl for tech gadgets.

I found Tristan Higbee one day while visiting blogs and he has a directory of different bloggers he comments on who return the favor. Had it not been for that list, I would have never found the wonderful blogging community that I now have. It’s just evolved from there just from visiting other blogs through CommentLuv.

Carolyn definitely pointed it out so wonderfully sharing the attributes that some of her favorite bloggers have (was honored to be included I must add). Because of that very same reason, I now have quite a few regular bloggers that I visit quiet often. I am subscribed to their RSS feed so that I will hopefully not miss a post although I still do from time to time.

Am so happy you’re keeping this movement going. You should be very proud of yourself for accomplishing this, we’ve had a great time participating. Looking forward to this exciting series too.

Have a wonderful weekend and whatever you do, have fun!

Adrienne
Adrienne recently posted..If It Ain’t Broke, Don’t Fix It

Bonnie Squires
Twitter: bonnie67
August 5, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Hi Stacey

Great post I just love it this time I got to here you yay.

I’ve many interest and I follow many blogs. But I started
to put my fav bloggers in my twitter list because most of
them are on Twitter.

I’ll be back later to post some bloggers i like.
Son just made french fries and ever thing is smoky
in here so need fresh air.

loved the video.

Bonnie Squires
Bonnie Squires recently posted..Laugh, Love, and Blogging #Triberr

Stacey August 5, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Hi Bonnie..glad the audio worked for you this time. So do I sound like what you expected? Pretty British ha..but I have this sort of transcontinental broken English that I effortlessly fall into when communicating with people who don’t speak English or who are ESOL…Like some how that makes them understand me better..which I’m pretty sure it doesn’t! I’ve just started to use twitter lists also. I mean I started using them, but not using them in anyway that is helpful, lol. I’ve now started a list of tribber mates so I can see all their tweets..but this is a pretty big list as I’m a member of 3 tribes… one being annubis..the super tribe. Tell your son Stacey said “stop burning mama outta her own house”, lol….oh and save me french fry!

Bonnie Squires
Twitter: bonnie67
August 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Hi Stacey

I just love your voice and can sit and listen to it all day long.

Some time when i’m feeling better I’ll do a video of me than
you can here my New York accent. ever one laugh the way i say
coffee. But i need to get the video’s off my camera first and feeling
better.

I spent most of my day in bed today which sucks just now started
to be able to talk normal again. it because getting the fries out i
got to hot plus I new I was having a set back when ever little thing
got to me.

well you have a good day or night and i’ll be back again
hugs Bonnie Squires
Bonnie Squires recently posted..Laugh, Love, and Blogging #Triberr

Bill Dorman August 6, 2011 at 9:28 am

Classic, nobody is calling out the fat, white, pasty guy wearing the grape sac right behind you. I’m sorry buddy, I’m glad you are proud of your body, but get some damn drawers on. I don’t even care if you have the right ‘package’ that’s not cool. I’ll have to give that a big ol’ ‘c’mon man, what are you thinking’…………………..:).

I follow a few social blogs where I know there will be witty banter for the most part and I follow friends. I’m not sure exactly how my friends have crossed paths, but once they are in I will stay connected to them, regardless of the niche. I just like to engage and see what’s going on with other people; what their struggles and successes are. For now, nothing more, nothing less.

I don’t have a strategy per se other than I like engagement and like to support my friends when I can.

As far as best blog of the week, obviously you must have forgotten to come by mine. I voted for it 3 times………….not familiar with your choice so will definitely go check him out; but not like the ‘extra’ in your vid……………..:). Stacey, I have to tell you that was priceless; I really can’t believe no one commented on it. I just call ‘em like I see ‘em………………

Good day ma’am.
Bill Dorman recently posted..You can hide but you can’t blog

Betsy Cross
Twitter: BetsyKCross
August 6, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Agghhh! Bill! I had to go back and watch it just to see what you were talking about! I was too mesmerized by Stacey.

Betsy
Betsy Cross recently posted..I Hate Saying Goodbye

Stacey August 7, 2011 at 5:09 am

Ah Bill, your killing me here man. You know I shot, edited and watched that video 3 times, before I noticed my extra. Budgie smugglers are pretty much par for the course with a lot of Europeans or on the gay section of the beach…were I seam to spend alot of time,!, lol. You learn to avert your eyes really quickly. Hope he wasn’t too distracting.

I’ve often wonder how and where you find the time to be so prolific in the blogging community? It really takes a lot of effort to say on top of what is going on and be consistent in your support of the bloggers you like. You must type super fast Mr D! Thanks for calling out budgie smuggling dude, you made me laugh, lol

Bill Dorman August 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm

He popped in the screen and I went ‘whoa’ now; of course I had to make a funny about it. I know it’s more of a Euro or gay thing and that is totally cool. However, if I rolled out wearing something like that not only would I expect the grief, I would enjoy it. That is one thing I can do, is the give and take with the teasing.

PS – I wear board shorts, you won’t see anything over my knees. My kids used to die when I would wear running shorts…………..:)
Bill Dorman recently posted..You can hide but you can’t blog

Stacey August 8, 2011 at 2:17 am

Now I can’t see anything else but the ‘big guy in the bathers’….dang….I think he adds a level of humour to the whole thing. May have to go back and see if he wants to feature in every episode..unpaid of course, lol

Bill Dorman August 8, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I think he should have a ‘guest’ shot in every shoot; almost like a ‘where’s Waldo’….:)
Bill Dorman recently posted..The Big Hairy Experiment

Janet @ The Natural Networker
Twitter: janetcallaway
August 7, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Stacey, aloha. Congratulations on your first Episode. Well done, my friend. Gazing into my crystal ball I see a huge success ahead for you. Oh, wait, it’s already coming over the horizon!

Carolyn, thank you so much for the mention; I appreciate it. What I like about the way you write, Carolyn, is that I feel you are very approachable and your explanations are easy to understand. Rather than feel intimidated by the topics on which I am absolutely clueless, I feel like Adrienne said, that if I had a challenge I would feel comfortable coming to you and asking for help. Of course, that presumes I can even figure it out enough to formulate a question!

Stacey, how I choose the bloggers has changed as I have blogged longer. When I first started at the end of last year, I followed all the “big” “name” bloggers. While I do still follow some, they are no longer my focus.

Instead, I follow those with whom I can engage, learn from or be inspired by. Depending on what I want, I know which blog is most likely to have it.

Certain bloggers write primarily “how to” type posts and those I tend to follow by e-mail because it makes for easy sorting/saving in files.

For others, since they are friends to me, I automatically visit their blogs to see what they have posted.

When visiting blogs, I also look at the comments. If I see a great comment, I will head on over to that person’s blog. As a result of that, I have met some great bloggers.

Finally, if a headline in my Triberr cue or tweet in my stream catches my eye, I will click on that and read the post. If I like if, I may start following.

Stacey, I keep a list of new people I am following so that I check them frequently. My “regulars,” I remember.

Great question to kick off this series, Stacey. Again, kudos to you.

Best wishes for a magnificent week. Aloha. Janet
Janet @ The Natural Networker recently posted..Life—Is it Puzzling or a Puzzle? By Janet Callaway The Natural Networker

Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech
Twitter: carpathia16
August 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Janet, you absolutely can come to me with your tech questions. Anytime, my friend. Anytime. :-)
Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech recently posted..Tech-Knowledgy: What’s Data?

Stacey August 8, 2011 at 2:54 am

Hey Janet, Aloha to you. Thanks for your kind words. I wish I could say I have a master plan, but just playing it by ear and instinct at the moment..however…I can see success of the horizon too. Gotta say positive right! I can’t believe you’ve been blogging for under a year..you go about it like a seasoned pro and I love the interractive, teaching, talkative and inclusive style you have..it’s something I can learn alot from. I started out following and commenting on a lot of the big name blogs, then I realised :they don’t and may never follower me back, they rarely if ever respond to my thought through interaction and when they did’ it was often just to say ‘thanks for commenting’, and my questions went unanswered! I don’t know…I just never got the feeling like my engagement wasn’t of any level of importance to them. So I stopped spending time there… and started to look for people who I could learn from AND interact with. I find the whole process a lot more fulfilling now, but a little harder as the more awesome bloggers I find and subscribe to, the more hours I need in each day!!! Balance….hmm….I wonder where I can buy me some of that, lol
Thanks for sharing your strategy Janet…have a great week in Hawaii

Dan August 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Dudette– thank you for the kind shout on your blogski! ALSO thank you for the 5 bucks! I promptly spent it on beer. :D

Stacey August 8, 2011 at 2:16 am

Your welcome, the post made me laugh, think and step up my game some. Perfect. Glad the dollars went to a good cause : )

Stan Faryna
Twitter: Faryna
August 10, 2011 at 7:32 am

I’m late to the party. Does that make me cool? [shy, guilty smile]

What was the question?

Mr. Dorman has distracted me by making me look for Easter Eggs in the background. [grin]

Oh yeah…

1. How do I choose which blogs to follow? AND
2. What strategies do I use to keep up with those blogging communities?

Sheesh, Stacey. Why do you have to make the first question so difficult?! [grin]

2. I have no strategy. Because I’m not selling. But should I (have a strategy)? [gulp and look of surprise]
1. [Looking for a song on youtube that can get me through this]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPS0PGBsV8I [some glimpses of Bucharest in the video]

a. Killer titles don’t do it for me. Or take me there. Because I’ve been disappointed too often. But that’s just me – ignore this curmudgeon on this point.
b. A direct tweet with link from a friend or someone that engages me often. That gets me there.
c. A comment on my blog post will get me there. Feel free to leave a hyperlink to your recent blog post in a comment to my blog post. I don’t have any issues with polite self-promotion. Actually, I encourage it. Because if you don’t toot your own horn – I have to worry about you.
d. A good blog post or comment on a good blog post that strongly recommends a post/link.
e. A deeply moving, amazingly intelligent, or powerfully honest comment will bring me.
Stan Faryna recently posted..Confessions of a freak-geek-misfit and time agent in exile. Faryna Podcast EP8.

Stacey August 11, 2011 at 3:41 am

Stan, your always cool. Late, early or even when taking a rain check!
Trust Bill to point out budgie smuggler dude ha! He won’t be in this weeks video..it will be worser for it, lol.
I never had a strategy before, I don’t even know if I do now? However, I found there are some people who seam to be incredibly adept at keeping up with everyone, they get everywhere. they add a ton of value with every post, comment and share!!! I wondered how they do it Betsy, Bill, Amber, instantly come to mind, and let’s not forget the wonderful Lori.
So your not affected by killer titles…or click bait hmm, interesting
I have often clicked through on a killer title only to be disappointed by the rest of the post, like all the energy was expended in getting the title just right, nice and juicy and bam…..post anti-climax!
It’s interesting also what you say about not minding a bit of self promotion. I don’t mind it either within reason and within context. Common sense should really take the lead on that one. But it’s funny how many bloggers have a real problem with it…will instantly remove any link and may proceed to moderate all your comments to make sure you never commit this trangression again. As your not selling and recently made it known that you don’t intend to monetise, I guess this might have something to do with the more laid back approach you take. Your blog is truly social..with no agenda..explicit or otherwise.
Oh yeah, please make a podcast of you singing ” I feel pretty, oh so pretty”, lol. PRETTY PLEASE.XX

Stan Faryna
Twitter: Faryna
August 11, 2011 at 5:00 am

Big hug to you, Stacey.

I just wanted you to know that I can’t hit the notes on any song. [laughing] Do you really want that kind of ear punishment?!

Speaking of ears, I just got some interesting fan art about my novel in progress…

So what’s the big question for today?!
Stan Faryna recently posted..The bare-footed man of Bucharest #fanart