Time Management And Success: Because Prayer Won’t Work

November 8, 2011 · 14 comments

• Sharebar

You don’t have to be a member of Mensa to work out that effective time management and success go hand in hand. I’ve never met a successful business person who did not view time as a precious commodity, and I’m going to bet that you haven’t either!

As you go about creating your business empire and designing the lifestyle you desire; understanding  the synchronicity between effective time management and success; will put you way ahead of the curve. It stands to reason that: the less time you squander on low value, low yielding activities, the more time you have to spend on activities that have an impact- right?

Let’s keep it 80/20 people, let’s keep it 80/20. If you’ve read the 4 Hour work week you’ll know what I’m talking about. If you haven’t, I’m going to suggest you rush over to those nice people at Amazon and pick up either of these two books, if not both.

I’m not going to lie, they’re game changers!

The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich

The 80/20 Principle: The Secret of Achieving More with Less

Prayer won’t work..

Despite your most powerful prayers; there will never be more than 24 hours in day or 7 days in a week, it’s just not going to happen –  so get over it. But isn’t it encouraging to know that whilst these time constraints won’t change, with a little focus and commitment, YOU can.

Time management tools are not hard to come by and time management advice is a dime a dozen –  I get it. So it begs the question why; with so many resources and so much good advice out there so many of us are failing to manage our time in a way that gives us the level of output we desire ?

Feel free to send in your answer on a postcard, but I’d like to go some way to answering my own question with a popular qoute used to close  AA/NA/CA and other recovery group meetings.

“It works, if you work it, so work it, you’re worth it”

I’ve always loved this message, but lately it’s gained a new poignancy. It’s a steady reminder that in the right hands; even the simplest tools are powerful and effective in our quest for productive time management and success.

The reason why so many people fail to master time management, create momentum and increase output, is that they don’t use the tools and advice readily available.

Human nature ha!

But we’ve already established that MLSM readers are extraordinary, so I know you’re ready to turn up the gas and start really cooking right?  As head chef here, I’d like to light the fire.

Let me share with you a tool and technique that has helped me:

• Complete more client work in less time- leaving me free to look for more clients
  • Prioritise my workload ensuring that the 20% of tasks that have 80% of impact- get done everyday
  • Free up more time each day, in the knowledge that I have maximised my best 5 hours ( more on your best 5 hours later)

Q. what time management tools are you using?

Have you found the tool yet; that puts time management and success firmly within your grasp?  If not, you’d better tune into the next post so you don’t miss out.

Did you know that if you get on the mailing list you’ll never have to miss another MLSM post again.

But lets make this post a mini resource MLSM lovelies, and enjoy a little “each one teach one”, by creating a list of all the tools (both free and paid for ) that help YOU achieve better time management.

So get sharing, the comments are yours to plunder and link your little hearts out.

In my next post I’m going  to share with you the tool that has helped me increase my daily work output tenfold!  And guess what, it’s totally and utterly, ridiculously-free!

Can’t say fairer than that…are you excited already!

It’s all love.xx

Previous post:

Next post:

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Betsy Cross
Twitter: BetsyKCross
November 9, 2011 at 4:09 am

Hey Stacey,
Just one thought. I wonder often about why I do the things I do in any given day. I wonder why I spend time on social media and put my “work”so far down on the list of my priorities? This is my take on it:
I have my beliefs flipped. I believe that when my needs for being social and connected I’ll feel like working. But, what I’ve found is that when I work I connect with people on a different level, a more fulfilling one. Does that make sense?
When I delay working on family history (MY thing), researching and writing stories, posting and engaging people who are interested in the same things that I am, I’m actually saying that I don’t believe that those social needs can’t be met that way.
There are days or maybe just moments when I just want to be brainless and have fun chatting about nothing. But I can’t do that for long without paying the price. And the price for me is losing focus.
So, I guess what I’m suggesting is that we all have the need to connect, and the best and most fulfilling way to do that is to focus on our “life’s work” and know that those needs will be met that way. And if they aren’t, at least your self esteem will be high and you’ll have more fun on Facebook, etc. being social. LOL! I don’t knoe how to explain it!!!

staceyjamie November 11, 2011 at 8:42 am

Wow Betsy, lol. I love what you say here, that need within us to connect is so powerful. I totally agree with needing those brainless, lets have a laugh moments…but like yourself if I do it for too long I lose focus and momentum. The thing I’m struggling with is the juggling act, competing priorities and how to prioritise things when they are all somewhat equally important. Any ideas?

Betsy Cross
Twitter: BetsyKCross
November 11, 2011 at 8:58 am

When my life is working there’s a simple flow to it. I’ll wake up and try to get a sense of “the most important thing to do today”. Once that’s done, and it HAS to be done first-thing if it can be, then everything else is gravy.
I truly believe that there is an efficiency to the universe, how we all play a part in each other’s puzzle, and that is sometimes not revealed to us. But I know that if we follow those strong impressions of what we can focus on TODAY ( I usually don’t focus on the big picture because I know what my life purpose is already) then everything seems to synchronize. I meet the people and go to places that I’m meant to. You know what I mean?
So as far as time management goes, I think for me it’s just doing the one thing (there is NEVER more) that’s related to that purpose, and then letting the rest of the day unfold as I follow the smaller promtings like, “DO THE LAUNDRY!” LOL!
Betsy Cross recently posted..Six Degrees of Separation

Kesha Brown
Twitter: uncommonchick
November 9, 2011 at 10:38 am

Hey Stacey, loving this post and your blog by the way (we have a similar mission :-) )

I read both of the books you mentioned above and you are absolutely correct – game changers!

I use task management (toodledo) and timer tools (xnote stopwatch) to keep me focused on goals and better manage my time.

Can’t wait to see what tool(s) you’re using :-)

~Kesha
Kesha Brown recently posted..Reasons Why People, Except You, Get Lucky

staceyjamie November 11, 2011 at 8:09 am

Hey Kesha, thanks for coming by and being part of the crew here. . I’ve not heard of toodledo, going to check that out today. Do you have any good book recommendations for me, as it seams we may have similar tastes

Kesha Brown
Twitter: uncommonchick
November 13, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Girl, I have so many but I’ll say this, anything by Wayne Dyer is awesome (I especially like Power of Intention; it’s one I re-read often) so if you haven’t read any of his stuff, do so soon :-)

~Kesha
Kesha Brown recently posted..Reasons Why People, Except You, Get Lucky

staceyjamie November 17, 2011 at 5:57 am

Thanks Kesha, I’ve heard alot about Wayne Dyer, that’s another one for the Kindle eh!

Adrienne
Twitter: adriennesmith40
November 9, 2011 at 11:50 am

Hi Stacey,

I’ll pipe in too, great reads you mentioned above. Will definitely help you put things into perspective.

Okay, time management tools. First off, I write everything down that I need to accomplish so that it’s right in front of me each day. I prefer not having some program keep this for me. I also set a timer so that I allot time to different projects so to help me with that I use e.ggtimer.com. Really handy site I must admit. A kitchen timer will accomplish the same result.

I hope that’s what you are looking for and I can’t wait to hear what helps you schedule your time. So, I’ll see you soon!

~Adrienne
Adrienne recently posted..I Accept The 7 Links Challenge

staceyjamie November 11, 2011 at 8:08 am

I remember Keisha from We Blog Better telling me about the e.gg timer tool. The first time I used it, I nearly had a heart attack when the alarm went off. I think we use similar strategies Adrienne…

Adrienne
Twitter: adriennesmith40
November 11, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I’m laughing so hard here Stacey! I did the same thing because I had my volume up too loud. Bout came out of my chair. But it certainly works! LOL…
Adrienne recently posted..How To Never Run Out Of Blog Post Ideas

Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech
Twitter: carpathia16
November 9, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Hi Stacey, Yes, you’re right, it’s so easy to get caught up with the meaningless tasks wasting our time when the important tasks linger. Especially with blog hopping and social media, there are so many quality blogs and it’s impossible to get to them all!

A balance between work and play is a good thing. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us!
Carolyn@The Wonder of Tech recently posted..Deliveries – Your Powerful Tracking Tool

staceyjamie November 11, 2011 at 8:06 am

We’d all love to find that perfect balance between work and play. I don;t know about you, but I alwsys end up doing a bit too much of one or the other, lol. I got some great advice from a women I met recently who told me about getting the thing you least want to do..done first!

Derek
Twitter: Goalsblogger
November 12, 2011 at 6:23 am

Hi Stacey,
Good post because time is limited. They don’t make any more of it.
My best time management technique: Asking myself questions like: How do I want to spend my time? Doing what? What’s most important to me? What’s meaningful to me? What’s exciting to me? I’m asking these questions even now, while on the beach.
Damn. Am I a workaholic or something?
Gonna get a massage.